PS2 cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-29-2004, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently using the factory cables with my PS2 (basic yellow rca jack for video) - I don't play very often. I would like to upgrade the cables but I don't know if I should go to Component or S-Video. Which is better and why? Would component be worth the extra money - would I even notice the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Component definately is better than S-video. I would do it if you have enough open spots in the back of your TV for component.

That being said, you will also sometimes see an apparent deterioration in the graphics because you'll now notice all the garbage that was once covered up by a washed out signal. This isn't your TV, it isn't the cords, it isn't the PS2, it just is what was hidden by a lower "powered" connection device.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-29-2004, 05:57 PM

I too noticed a slight drop in quality of PS2 games that weren't in 480p. For games that support 480p, the images were noticeably sharper. I only have a 46" RPTV. I would imagine that people with larger screens would see more jaggies and drop in graphics quality. I seemed to adjust to the crappy quality within a few minutes for each game (Gran Turismo 3, GTA San Andreas, etc).
post #4 of 10 Old 12-29-2004, 11:44 PM

I guess one could consider using composite as a free form of anti-ailasing. I just got my PS2 the other day and have been having pretty good luck with the Svideo, quality wise. I would like to up it to component, but the limitations of my setup are preventing that for now.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-30-2004, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. I went out and got the component cables. They were actually cheaper than the S-video. I bought the Mad Cats cables for $10 at Best Buy. I saw the official sony PS2 cables for $25 and the Monster Cables for $47 but I figured that given my limited playing that the $10 cables were good enough. I would imagine that the Monster Cables would be better than the Mad Cats (I have Monsters everywhere else), but the Sony cables looked cheap. I guess with the Sony cables you pay extra for the "PS2 Official Stamp of Approval".
Anyway, the component cables made a huge difference! The text was especially crisp and clear and there was no 'bleeding' of colors like there was with the composite cables. I only played ATV 3, which is only in 480i, but tonight I will have to check out a better game. Which games are in 480p? Are there any in 1080i?
post #6 of 10 Old 12-30-2004, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by hellfish
Thanks for your input. I went out and got the component cables. They were actually cheaper than the S-video. I bought the Mad Cats cables for $10 at Best Buy. I saw the official sony PS2 cables for $25 and the Monster Cables for $47 but I figured that given my limited playing that the $10 cables were good enough. I would imagine that the Monster Cables would be better than the Mad Cats (I have Monsters everywhere else), but the Sony cables looked cheap. I guess with the Sony cables you pay extra for the "PS2 Official Stamp of Approval".
Anyway, the component cables made a huge difference! The text was especially crisp and clear and there was no 'bleeding' of colors like there was with the composite cables. I only played ATV 3, which is only in 480i, but tonight I will have to check out a better game. Which games are in 480p? Are there any in 1080i?
hellfish, I bought that same cable last night at BB and could not get it to work with my projector. I am using component out of my XBOX with no problem and view games in 480p and some in 1080i. I figured the PS2 would work the same way but apparently not. I went into the dashboard of the PS2 and tried both the RGB and the Yc/Pb/Cr or whatever it is. Neither settings gave me a picture. I even tried plugging the green cable from the component cable into the composite video input on my projector and although it did let me see the dashboard in black and white, once I selected an option the screen went black again. Help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-30-2004, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Does that cable work with your XBox or are you using a different cable for the Xbox? If the cable works with your XBox and not the PS2, maybe the PS2 connector is bad. I know this is a dumb suggestion, but ya never know: did you connect the red video plug into the video port on the back of your tv? There are 2 reds - one is for audio. If that isn't the problem, then I would have to say it's either a setting (which you might have already addressed) or a bad cable. Are you sure the cable is plugged all the way into your PS2? Sometimes the cable feels like it's in, but it's only halfway in and not making a good connection.
By the way, did your BestBuy have a real long line because only 3 of the 12 registers were open? Poor planning on the part of the manager or BestBuy conspiracy to get you to stay in the store longer and buy impulse items? "Oooh look - It's "Tango and Cash" on sale for 12.99! If I wasn't standing here waiting, I would have never noticed it..." I hate Best Buy! At least they don't check my bag and receipt like I'm being accused of stealing every time I BUY something there anymore. "Why do you need to check my receipt? I'm a big boy, I know how to read numbers! Shouldn't you be working one of the empty registers instead of harassing me about my receipt?" #%@$@Best Buy!!
post #8 of 10 Old 12-30-2004, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does that cable work with your XBox or are you using a different cable for the Xbox? If the cable works with your XBox and not the PS2, maybe the PS2 connector is bad. I know this is a dumb suggestion, but ya never know: did you connect the red video plug into the video port on the back of your tv? There are 2 reds - one is for audio. If that isn't the problem, then I would have to say it's either a setting (which you might have already addressed) or a bad cable. Are you sure the cable is plugged all the way into your PS2? Sometimes the cable feels like it's in, but it's only halfway in and not making a good connection.
By the way, did your BestBuy have a real long line because only 3 of the 12 registers were open? Poor planning on the part of the manager or BestBuy conspiracy to get you to stay in the store longer and buy impulse items? "Oooh look - It's "Tango and Cash" on sale for 12.99! If I wasn't standing here waiting, I would have never noticed it..." I hate Best Buy! At least they don't check my bag and receipt like I'm being accused of stealing every time I BUY something there anymore. "Why do you need to check my receipt? I'm a big boy, I know how to read numbers! Shouldn't you be working one of the empty registers instead of harassing me about my receipt?" #%@$@Best Buy!!
hellfish, thanks for the suggestions. my Mad Catz cable had the audio cables seperated by a plastic jacket so they were clearly marked audio. As for the connection at the PS2, I pushed it pretty good and I believe it's fully seated there. Next I will try using the cable through the XBOX like you said. I'm currently using an HD pack and 3rd party component cables for the XBOX with no problem. Maybe the cable is bad but I did get the dashboard to display when I connected the green cable to my composite input. Oh, well, I will keep trying. I wonder if I need to try a 480p capable game? I only have two games for the PS2 so far and I don't think they are 480p.

post #9 of 10 Old 12-30-2004, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

hellfish, sorry I forgot to answer your BB question. They never have more than two or three registers open at my locations. I have kind of a love hate relationship with BB. I love to look around and try things out but when it comes to buying from them I usually have problems. Fortunately, I know the managers pretty well now after having some run ins with defective products and returns. I know how to work them now, you just have to be firm and let them know your not going to be jerked around.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I only played ATV 3, which is only in 480i, but tonight I will have to check out a better game. Which games are in 480p? Are there any in 1080i?
There are currently no 1080i games for the PS2. There are only a handful available on even the Xbox. I doubt that there will ever be a 1080i game on the PS2 (although there is some people saying that GT4 will be in 1080i).

There are actually a fair amount of PS2 games in 480p. Most first party Sony titles are in progressive scan. I don't know what games you like to play, but Jak III, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, and Socom II are a couple of "A-list" titles that support 480p.
Closed Thread Home Theater Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page