AVS Forum banner

Logitech Harmony 1100 Universal Remote with Color Touch Screen

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Logitech Harmony 1100 Universal Remote with Color Touch Screen

Description:
The Logitech Harmony 1100 gives you powerful home-entertainment control through a customizable, 3.5-inch full-color touch screen. Controls are easy to access and are backlit, so you can easily find them in the dark. One-touch, activity-based controls turn on the right devices in the right order with a single command. RF wireless capability lets you control devices without direct line-of-sight, so you can keep components in a closed cabinet or even another room (requires Logitech Harmony RF Extender, sold separately). The on-screen commands are customizable, so you get the commands you want, when you want them. The Harmony 1100 supports more than 5000 brands and over 225,000 devices.

Details:
DetailValue
BindingElectronics
BrandLogitech
EAN0705105565002
FeatureOne-touch, activity-based controls
3.5-inch, full-color touch screen
Customizable commands, icons and screens
RF wireless capability. Support for 5,000+ brands and 225,000+ devices
Rechargeable, complete with charging stand
Item Height3.25 inches
Item Length10.55 inches
Item Width7.55 inches
LabelLogitech, Inc
ManufacturerLogitech, Inc
MPN915-000074
NumberOfItems1
Package Height3.3 inches
Package Length10.9 inches
Package Weight2.2 pounds
Package Width7.6 inches
PackageQuantity1
PartNumber915-000074
ProductGroupSpeakers
ProductTypeNameREMOTE_CONTROL
PublisherLogitech, Inc
SKULOG1100
StudioLogitech, Inc
TitleLogitech Harmony 1100 Universal Remote with Color Touch Screen
UPC705105565002
UPCList - UPCListElement705105565002
Item Weight2.35 pounds
CatalogNumberList - CatalogNumberListElementB001M5U5AC
915-000074
Model915-000074
PlatformMac
DepartmentElectronics
Warranty1 year limited
FormatCD-ROM
OperatingSystemN/A
HardwarePlatformMac

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
"The wife mode" for your system

review by pleasantsounds

After setting up a system consisting of 6 devices in my lounge, I was the only person in the house that could operate it. As you can imagine, that has created a lot of tension and brought me to the brink of divorce. This little box has saved my marriage
smile.gif

Initially I was looking for something simpler, but have found an offer for the 1100 that was too good to pass, so ended up getting it knowing not much more than it is supposedly "top of the range" universal remote.

The setup was simple, once I managed to install the supplied application on your PC. From that perspective the fact that it takes forever to charge it initially is not necessarily a bad thing - at least it doesn't slow you down that much. The version supplied on a CD has not even launched the installation wizard properly. Downloading an update from the Logitech website, disabling virus checker and logging in as the administrator has eventually worked - that's my experience under Win7/64. Then I tried on an XP laptop and it worked fine at the first attempt. Go figure...

But back to the setup. The first step is to identify all the devices in your system. To do that you have to enter make and model information for all of them. For 5 out of 6 of my boxes that was all I had to do, but the Sony DVD recorder that I have has not been recognized. For situations like this the 1100 has a learning mode: you take the original remote, place it opposite the 1100 and press a series of buttons as instructed on screen. It has worked for me just fine.

The next step is to define the commonly used command sequences, for example to "watch cable tv" or "listen to radio". These eventually become icons on the remote screen and when you touch them all the commands necessary for your system are executed automatically. To get there the software prompts you for all the essential parameters like what input your TV has to be on. All I had to do was answer these questions and the software did the rest of the work and configured the remote. There are further fine-tuning possibilities there like ability to specify delay between commands, but I never needed to use them.

So how does it perform? To me it's pretty good in hiding the complexity of the AV system from the family members who "only want to watch the damned TV", but for some operations I find myself still reaching for the original remotes. To give you an example: the fast forward operation is supported by the on-screen buttons. You press it and wait. After a few seconds the screen times out and goes blank - you need to touch the screen to wake it up and only then the Start button will work. By then the program has forwarded too far and you need to reverse... You also can't put your finger on the start button in advance and press it when needed: as soon as you touch the on-screen control, it is activated. If that bothers you, then Harmony One would be a better choice.

All functions of the original remotes are supported through the on-screen controls, however finding them is not always easy: my AV receiver's remote is substituted by 7 pages full of buttons, and the layout is not retained. Also, when you get to that level, there is no obvious way to get back to the standard menu. Looks like a programming oversight, but to be honest I haven't tried really hard.

I don't pretend to be an expert in universal remotes: I have never used them before, nor made the effort to learn the 1100 inside-out. This is just an ordinary first time user's experience, and yours may be different. This remote certainly looks better than most on your coffee table and attracts a lot of attention from the visitors. It may not be the most practical one though.

ProsCons
Drives any IR device, supports sequences of commands, looks goodTouchscreen not ideal for some remote functions

Ratings
Overall4
Value4

#3 ·
Best Solution (for Grandparents)

review by damon_dr

I bought this for my grandparents home theater, which has several components in a closet away from seating area. They were constantly having problems with inputs and power cycles being off, causing their setup to be a nightmare. This remote (with a small amount of programming) has helped solve this problem and has made my life as tech support very easy.

ProsCons
Easy to program with use of computer. Above average tech support. Remembers your set-up. Touch Screen is old technology, they need to upgrade this model to be more responsive and higher resolution.

Ratings
Design0
Features0
Ease of Setup0
Ease of Use0
Value0
Overall4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.