AVS Forum banner

SONOS PLAY:1 Compact Wireless Speaker for Streaming Music - (White)

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
SONOS PLAY:1 Compact Wireless Speaker for Streaming Music - (White)

Description:
view larger The compact wireless speaker that delivers deep, crystal clear HiFi sound. No other wireless speaker packs so much HiFi sound into such a compact design. PLAY:1's sleek, versatile design easily fits anywhere your home needs music, for surprisingly big sound no matter how tight the spot. Experience your favorite music from the only wireless music system that combines warm, full-bodied sound with a powerful wireless network 100 percent devoted to streaming HiFi sound without dropouts. FILL YOUR HOME WITH MUSIC Start with a BRIDGE, and a PLAY: 1, or pair two PLAY: 1s in the same room to create a wider sound stage with true stereo sound. Continue to add as many Sonos speakers as you want throughout your home, wirelessly. DESIGN & ENGINEERING 2 custom tuned drivers (3.5" mid-woofer and tweeter) powered by 2 dedicated digital amplifiers deliver powerful, richly textured sound, with crystal clear highs and thundering lows, for pitch-perfect sound at any volume. 1 tweeter and 1 mid-woofer. Humidity resistant to operate flawlessly in high-humidity environments, such as in a bathroom with a running shower. view larger view larger view larger view larger EASY TO CONTROL Play Anything A single app lets you play your entire music library, stream all of your favorite Music Services and tune in to more than 100,000 Internet Radio stations and podcasts. Any Device Play music from any device stored on your Android* smartphone or tablet, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch wirelessly to your Sonos system. Control Every Room Play the same song in every room, in perfect sync- or play different music in every room-from any source. *Music downloaded through Google Play must still be synced to your computer. EASY TO SETUP 1. Connect Home Network Wirelessly connect your PLAY:1 to a BRIDGE or another Sonos device. Or you can connect your PLAY:1 directly to your home internet router. 2. Plug In Your Speaker To get started, plug the PLAY:1 in to the nearest power outlet. 3. Get The Sonos App The Sonos Controller App lets you connect and configure new devices, including the PLAY:1. You can download the app for Android, iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC. What's in the box: SONOS PLAY:1 AC Power Cord Ethernet Cable Warranty and Regulatory Booklet Quickstart Guide What you need: Broadband internet connection One Sonos component wired to router Sonos Controller App downloaded to one of the following platforms (to setup the system and control music streaming services;system requirements subject to change): Windows XP SP3, Macintosh OSX (10.6 or higher) iOS 4.0 or later. Android 2.1 or later Detailed Specifications: Sonos-Designed Hardware and software custom-designed by Sonos to produce rich, powerful HiFi sound that's crystal clear at any volume. Amplifier Two Class-D digital amplifiers perfectly tuned to match the speakers and acoustic architecture. Tweeter One tweeter creates a crisp and accurate high frequency response. Mid-Woofer One 3.5" mid-woofer ensures the faithful reproduction of mid-range frequencies crucial for accurate playback of vocals and instruments, as well as delivery of deep, rich bass. Stereo Pair Turn two PLAY: 1s into separate left and right channel speakers to create wider, bigger, and deeper sound. 5.1 Home Theater Add two PLAY: 1 speakers to PLAYBAR and SUB for a true surround sound experience. Playback Modes Crossfade, shuffle, repeat Dimensions (H x W x D) 6.36 x 4.69 x 4.69 (in) / 161.45 X 119.7 x 119.7 (mm) Threaded Mount 1/4 inch (6.75mm) / 20-thread Weight 4.08 lb (1.85 kg) Technology Comparison Chart Key Features SONOS HiFi Airplay Bluetooth Expandable, multi-room sound system ✔ Dedicated wireless network for no stutters, stops, or drops ✔ Combine music from your MP3's, music services, and internet radio ✔ Independent room control ✔ Synchronized songs in every room ✔ Greater than 30ft wireless range ✔ ✔ Flexible wireless control from multiple devices (iOS, android) ✔ ✔ Play iTunes direct from your iOS device ✔ ✔ ✔ Play music stored on your Android smartphone or tablet ✔ ✔ ✔ Sonos Comparison Chart Key Features Play:1 Play:3 Play:5 Integrated speakers 2 3 5 Wireless connectivity ✔ ✔ ✔ Pre-loaded Internet radio stations -free of charge ✔ ✔ ✔ Endless music from the most popular online music services ✔ ✔ ✔ Built in handle to carry from room to room ✔ Rubber feet/bottom ✔ ✔ ✔ Audio line-in and headphone jack ✔ Humidity resistant ✔ Stereo pair setting ✔ ✔ ✔ New features and music services delivered automatically -and for free ✔ ✔ ✔ Wall mountable ✔ ✔ Multiple orientations, position horizontal or vertical ✔ Measurements

Details:
DetailValue
BindingElectronics
BrandSonos
EAN0878269000273
FeatureDelivers deep, crystal clear HiFi sound without dropouts
Humidity resistant to operate flawlessly even in the bathroom
Play:1 streams music directly from your iTunes library, online music services and free Internet radio
Start with one, then wirelessly expand with more to any room in your home
Sonos App on your smartphone, tablet or PC gives you control of all your music in one place
Item Height6.36 inches
Item Length4.69 inches
Item Width4.69 inches
LabelSonos
ManufacturerSonos
MPNPLAY1US1
NumberOfItems1
Package Height7 inches
Package Length9.6 inches
Package Weight5.5 pounds
Package Width7.5 inches
PackageQuantity1
PartNumberPLAY1US1
ProductGroupReceiver or Amplifier
ProductTypeNameAUDIO_OR_VIDEO
PublisherSonos
StudioSonos
TitleSONOS PLAY:1 Compact Wireless Speaker for Streaming Music - (White)
UPC878269000273
UPCList - UPCListElement878269000273
Item Weight4.08 pounds
CatalogNumberList - CatalogNumberListElementPLAY1US1
ModelPLAY1US1
ColorWhite
Warranty1 yr warranty on parts & labor

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sonos' most affordable wireless speaker sounds very good for its size and price, but lacks an analog input

review by imagic

The Sonos Play:1 is a device I'd never buy with my own money, yet I'm happy that I received one as a gift. Last January, I attended a press event at Bob and Ron's World Wide Stereo in Ardmore, PA. The main event was lunch with renowned home-theater designer Keith Yates, and Sonos was a sponsor. On the way out, everyone who attended got a swag bag that included a Sonos Play: 1 speaker, which is how I ended up with one.

The Sonos Play:1 looks a lot like something Apple would design

Now that I've had the Play:1 for a few months, I'm still struggling to figure out what to do with it. The Play:1 is a mighty fine bit of audio engineering; it looks and sounds good considering its size, wireless functionality, and price. Its resemblance to Apple-designed products is uncanny, in terms of both appearance and operation. The speaker's wrap-around, perforated, brushed-aluminum grill is especially attractive and Apple-like, but as I discovered, it is distressingly easy to dent the aluminum. As a consequence, you have to handle the Play:1 with care to avoid cosmetic damage. Aside from that, the Play:1 feels very solid and well-made.

Intuitive software-based setup is a Sonos hallmark. Adding the Play:1 to my network using the Sonos app on my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Android tablet only took a couple of minutes. Once the link was established, browsing for music and playing it back was a piece of cake, thanks to the system's easy-to-use software, which is available for Mac, PC, iOS, and Android. The only surprise was when I went into the EQ setting and found that "loudness" was turned on by default. It only takes a second to turn loudness off, and the improvement in sound quality was noticeable.

Speaking of sound quality, I won't get too far into the nitty-gritty, because the Play:1 doesn't warrant the sort of scrutiny that a high-quality speaker demands. It sounds good enough, and it gets loud enough to do the job it needs to do. When I was testing the Sonos 5.1 system, I did take a minute to combine a pair of Play:1s with the Sonos Sub, and it did make for a fairly decent-sounding system-that happened to cost over $1000 for 2.1 channels. With Sonos, you pay for the wireless capability and ease of use; unfortunately, you don't get true hi-fi sound quality as part of the package-it's good sound, just not profound. The sound signature of the Play: 1 is dry and punchy, and I will give it credit for handling many genres without distorting when playing loud, but it does sound a bit compressed when pushed.

While I am not part of the demographic that buys Sonos gear-my stereo is large, full of wires, and industrial-looking-I can understand the wireless system's appeal. My priority is always sound quality, and I chose stereo components that offer higher performance than anything Sonos sells, yet my current speakers cost the same per unit as the Play:1. When it comes to Sonos, I appreciate the system's merits just as much as I recognize its limitations. For example, the Play:1 makes a very effective surround speaker when combined with a Sonos Playbar and SUB to make a 5.1 system, which I discuss in this review. Sonos' smallest speaker is also a great choice for a multi-room wireless-audio installation, given its size and sound quality. In fact, multi-room audio is the precise application that best takes advantage of the features that set Sonos apart from its wireless competition: reliability. I live in a three-story Philly rowhouse where I've tested the Play:1 in every corner of every floor-the wireless connection is always rock solid.

The Play:1 and the Behringer B215XL shown in this picture cost the same: $200

Unfortunately, wireless connection is the only way you can get music to the Play: 1; in fact, my number one gripe with Sonos' smallest speaker is the lack of connectivity options. A simple analog input or Bluetooth connection would've made it far more appealing as a standalone speaker. As it stands, I cannot take the Play: 1 with me-let's say to a hotel room-and use it to play music from my phone. It simply doesn't work that way! Even an ad-hoc Wi-Fi connection would be acceptable, but as it stands, there is no way to connect a phone to a Play:1 without tapping into an existing network through a router or tethering a Sonos component to a computer. Hopefully, a forthcoming system update from Sonos will make it possible to establish an ad-hoc Wi-Fi connection between a phone or tablet and a Sonos component. If that happens, and it works, I will add half a star to my rating.

The Play:1 features an Ethernet port, but no Bluetooth or analog connectivity

Ultimately, how you use the Play:1 has a major impact on whether you get your money's worth. The cost of entry for a two-channel system is at least $400. At that price point, it's disappointing that the Play:1 cannot directly link to a tablet or phone; hopefully, the Sonos update will remedy that issue. When used as part of an integrated whole-house system, or as a part of a 5.1 surround system, the Play:1 makes a lot of sense. On its own, Sonos' least expensive speaker doesn't offer enough in terms of connectivity to make it worth the price, despite its respectable performance-at least not yet.

ProsCons
Compact, reliable (with Android), attractive, plays loud, expandableNo analog input or bluetooth connectivity

Ratings
Design4
Features3
Performance4
Value4
Overall4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.