AVS Forum banner

Samsung UN65F8000 65-Inch 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Samsung UN65F8000 65-Inch 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV

Description:
Samsung 65-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV Whether it's your voice or a simple hand gesture, with the new Ultra-Slim Samsung Smart TV F8000, controlling your TV is easier than ever before. You can talk to your TV in more natural ways such as asking, "What action movies are on", or you can perform all the basic commands such as "record", "last channel" and "turn on". You can also use hand gestures to browse the new intuitive Smart Hub, a central, easy-to-navigate hub of all your favorite content. You can even use gestures to use apps, play games and more. Samsung has also made it easier to keep up with the latest technology. The new Smart Evolution Kit updates your TV with new software, so you can keep enjoying new features without having to get a new TV. Discover how the new F8000 can keep up with both you, and the ever-changing world of technology. Smart TV The Samsung Smart TV finds the movies and TV shows you like - and more. Speak into the mic on the Smart Touch Remote to get TV recommendations. Use gestures to swipe and navigate within the 5 Smart Hub content panels. Easily discover movies, shows, and social posts with less searching and more watching. AllShare Allows your TV to wirelessly access and stream content from any compatible device, like a PC or mobile device. Share movies, photos, and music all through a single device: your TV. And with cloud technology, you can access and even share content away from home. Smart Interaction Control your TV with hand gestures and voice commands spoken into the Smart Touch Remot Control. Use S-Recommendation with Voice Interaction to ask your TV to find things to watch and get program suggestions. Smart Hub Our new interface organizes your entertainment and content into 5 convenient panels: On TV, Movies and TV Shows, Social, Apps, and a panel for your Photos, Videos and Music. Smart Touch Remote The Smart Touch Remote Control features an innovative touch pad and built-in microphone allowing you to easily interact with your Smart TV. Quad Core Processor Explore and multitask faster with our Quad Core Processor. This extra power gives you faster web browsing, smoother interaction and allows you to switch between content even faster than before. Built-in WiFi Enhance the connectivity capabilities of your TV with Built-in WiFi. S-Recommendation Ask the TV for recommendations while you're watching TV or visit the full S-Recommendation hub to find new things to watch. Full Web Browser All the benefits of full web browsing, right on your TV. From social sites like Facebook and Twitter to news, weather, entertainment, blogs and more. Discover even more content possibilities with your Smart TV. Smart Evolution The Smart Evolution Port allows you to update your Smart TV in the future. The Smart Evolution Kit* plugs into the back of your TV and updates it with new software and technology that will improve your TV performance - faster speed, more content, more features. Clear Motion Rate 1200 A Clear Motion Rate of 1200 is the ultimate level of motion-clarity for Samsung LED TVs. LED TVs with this CMR can display action-packed movement with superior sharpness, clarity and contrast. Clear Motion Rate was developed to accurately measure how well an LCD or LED TV can depict fast-moving images. Previously, motion-clarity was calculated by the frame refresh rate alone. But CMR offers a more complete measure by calculating 3 factors: frame refresh rate, image processor speed and backlight technology Micro Dimming Ultimate Experience incredible picture contrast, color and detail with Micro Dimming Ultimate. By maximizing the contrast between lights and darks, Samsung's Micro Dimming technology displays a picture that is as true-to-life as possible. Our innovative technology scans zones across the image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper dark tones and brighter whites. It also eliminates the "halo" effect and image distortion that can happen with diffused lights. The Ultimate version of this technology optimizes the quality to new heights by scanning 2x the number of zones in the image. The result is a crystal-clear picture with realistic, vivid detail and accurate color reproduction. Samsung Active 3D Enjoy stunning Full HD 1080p in both 2D and 3D modes. With Samsung's 3D converter, turn 2D viewing into 3D for an amazing cinematic experience. Ultra Clear Panel Ultra Clear Panel absorbs most ambient light and virtually eliminates reflections. Ultra Clear Panel also helps make colors more vibrant with deeper blacks and enhanced contrast for crisper images and excellent shadow detail. Clean Back Design The new Samsung Smart TV represents the graceful intersection of striking innovation and minimalistic design. The elegant combination of technology and design produces a TV that incorporates Ultra-slim LED depth with a new Clean Back design. Energy Star ENERGY STAR qualified products meet strict energy efficiency specifications set by the government. This Samsung TV not only meets ENERGY STAR requirements; it exceeds them. *Smart Evolution Kit sold separately What's Included: UN65F8000 65-Inch Ultra Slim 3D Smart LED HDTV, Smart Touch Remote, 4 Pairs of 3D Active Glasses, and DocumentationF8000 Series Specifications

Details:
DetailValue
BindingElectronics
BrandSamsung
EAN0887276024875
Feature1080p HDTV with Micro Dimming: Best picture quality
240Hz Refresh Rate: Best for general viewing, video games, action movies, and sports
Smart TV with Gesture Controls and a Built in Camera: Interact with streaming content and the web
Thin LED Design: TV without stand (Width x Height x Depth): 57 X 32.7 X 1.5 Inches, TV with stand (Width x Height x Depth): 57 X 34.3 X 14.5 Inches
Item Height34.3 inches
Item Length57 inches
Item Width14.5 inches
LabelSamsung
ManufacturerSamsung
MPNUN65F8000
Package Height16 inches
Package Length21 inches
Package Weight21 pounds
Package Width16 inches
PackageQuantity1
PartNumberUN65F8000
ProductGroupHome Theater
ProductTypeNameTELEVISION
PublisherSamsung
StudioSamsung
TitleSamsung UN65F8000 65-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV
UPC887276024875
UPCList - UPCListElement887276024875
Item Weight1 pounds
CatalogNumberList - CatalogNumberListElementUN65F8000BFXZA
ModelUN65F8000
Size65-Inch
Warranty1 year parts and labor
ReleaseDate2013-05-12

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This TV will really suprise you

review by inline_phil

Before I begin the review, let me say that I have briefly owned two Samsung UN64F8500 plasma sets (one for about a week and another for about 5 days. The F8500 is a VERY fine TVs but there is an insurmountable issue with the plasma technology and my high-end audio system (see a full explanation at my blog at http://audiophile-musings.blogspot.com). I was truly hoping that a plasma set would become a permanent resident in my home theater but the technology used to create an image in the plasma system creates a disastrous effect with the toroidal transformers in my audio gear and the two shall never be compatible. With a heavy heart, all hopes for a high-end plasma video section are now gone.

BUT the Samsung top-of-the-line LED set is a very close runner up and the same price. If you liked the picture quality of the F8500, you will quickly shift your preferences to the F8000 after properly calibrating and optimizing its controls. My list of calibration settings also appears at http://audiophile-musings.blogspot.com.

I have owned the F8000 now for about 100 hours and just rechecked its calibration using the Digital Video Essentials HD BASICS disk. The calibration is still spot on and the colors are incredibly accurate, even more natural than the F8500. This is saying a lot since most professionals prefer plasma over LED and I understand why. If you have a completely dark home theater room, a plasma set may be more to your liking. If you do not have a dark room, you will certainly prefer the higher light output of the F8000. So what does the F8000 do right? Just about everything.

First, the 65" screen is huge, even for my 28-foot long home theater room. A good viewing distance is more than 10 feet, our primary chairs at about 11. But our secondary chairs are over 20 feet away and the picture is still amazing. Watching a Bluray 3D is better than most 3D theaters I frequent and my wife also prefers the F8000 implementation over other 240Hz sets (Sony, Panasonic, etc.). Claiming 1200Hz clear motion rate, the effect is pretty good for Bluray content but being a sports enthusiast I still lean to 2D broadcasts to avoid jerky 60Hz motion. Watching the Bluray Avatar was truly the best 3D I have ever seen. So there is hope for this technology and if film editors would get off of the special effect and focus on creating convincing 3D, there would be greater acceptance of this technology.

The picture quality of this set is in a league of its own. I am one that is not easily impressed but each time I walk into the room the image catches my eye. Even commercials take on new meaning when you see them as intended making any viewing more pleasurable. Of course the resolution is superb but one of the tests I use for convincing color accuracy is gold. After seeing golds on the Pioneer Elite plasmas, I believed LED technology to be inferior - that is until this set came into view. Having used color calibrated video graphics displays, I understand how difficult it is to get certain colors right and the F8000 does an excellent job. Switching channels in my DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR momentarily displays a gold color text in the upper LH corner and it is spot on accurate. Watching Blurays through my OPPO BDP-105 is like watching an entirely different movie even though I may have seen it ten times before. 2D movies seem much more 3D, something I was not prepared to experience. So this set does a few things very right.

Over-the-air reception was equally as good as other source inputs. Live new broadcast in 1080i are sharp and clear revealing all of the cosmetic flaws in the faces of anchor desk people. Skin tones are also spot on with a slight favor (hardly worth mentioning after calibration) still to the red. Only in certain lighting conditions do the colors drift and then only if you are really looking for it.

Details in low-light conditions are not as good as the best plasma sets but are darned close. With productions using contrast and lighting more and more to demonstrate tone and effect, this is an important detail and one where the F8000 rises to the occasion. Even in really extreme conditions, you can still see details in facial characteristics, shadowed objects, and excellent resolution in non-prominent lighting. The series ELEMENTARY is one such program where lighting is used to emphasize or dramatize scenes. None of the usual ghosting or false-colors appear in the shadows typical of lower quality sets. It is amazing how quickly you get used to seeing these anomalies and when they disappear you realize how you "put up" with them. No longer are these a viewing issue.

So in summary, this is a GREAT set. The Precision Black Local Dimming helps this TV create similar convincing contrasts and excellent black representation using LED technology. The set consumes about 1/3 the power of an equivalent-sized plasma also making it more economical to run and cool your room. Make sure you see this set properly calibrated before making up your mind.

ProsCons
Best blacks I've seen using LED technology, amazing colors, huge screenGimmicky SMART HUB, off-center viewing limited, built-in speakers are barely adequate

Ratings
Design4
Features5
Performance5
Color Accuracy5
Black Levels4
Value4
Overall5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.