AVS Forum banner

Logitech 915-000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Logitech 915-000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote

Description:
The Logitech Harmony Ultimate includes the Harmony Hub RF receiver. Harmony Hub turns RF signals from the remote into IR and Bluetooth commands your devices can understand. Access your devices even through cabinets and walls including IR devices and game consoles (PS3, Wii or Xbox 360). And with the optional Harmony App, anyone in the house can turn his or her Smartphone into personal universal remote.

Details:
DetailValue
BindingElectronics
BrandLogitech
EAN0097855093004
FeatureControls your entire home entertainment system: Even controls game consoles and devices hidden behind cabinet doors and walls
Powerful remote control customization: Includes the ability to create one-touch activity sequences, adjust and remap buttons, set device delays and timing, plus more
Intuitive color touch screen: Swipe and tap to access and switch between entertainment activities with shortcuts for your most frequently used commands
Ultimate convenience features: Vibration feedback touch screen, up to 50 favorite channel icons, back-lit buttons and recharging station
Future-proof control of up to 15 devices: Works with 5,000 plus brands and 225,000 plus devices, with newly released devices added regularly to the online device database
Item Height10.08 inches
Item Length5.32 inches
Item Width3.94 inches
LabelLogitech
ManufacturerLogitech
MPN915-000201
Package Height3.3 inches
Package Length10.1 inches
Package Weight2.85 pounds
Package Width9 inches
PackageQuantity1
PartNumber915-000201
ProductGroupCE
ProductTypeNameREMOTE_CONTROL
PublisherLogitech
StudioLogitech
TitleLogitech 915-000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote with Customizable Touch Screen and Closed Cabinet RF Control - Black
UPC097855093004
UPCList - UPCListElement097855093004
Item Weight1.56 pounds
CatalogNumberList - CatalogNumberListElement915-000201
Model915-000201
ReleaseDate2013-04-17

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Better than nothing

review by captmike

I needed a replacement for my dead Philips Ponto that I had for over 13 years which was the best remote I have used.

After some research I took the plunge ($275) on a new Harmony Ultimate. The first unit I received had to be returned, as it was not working correctly according to Logitech support. I currently am using my new replaced Ultimate.

The remote is easy enough to set up through myharmony.com. There are some drawbacks that I encountered when setting up certain devices. When you set up a device on myharmony.com you are prompted for the manufacture name and model number for that type of device. The results are a short list of options. After you select the option and then finish that task, that device IR commands will be added to your remote. The problem on occasion is that not all of those commands work and/or are named something other than what your OEM remote control has labeled them. If you have your original remote control that's great as you can simply have the Ultimate remote learn the missing command from your OEM remote by pointing the OEM remote at the Ultimate and pressing the command you would like it to learn. If you don't have your OEM remote you are going to find yourself in a hard spot and successfully obtaining that code is not great.

One of the drawbacks of this remote is that the hard buttons cannot be programed by you to do a "Hold Action". A hold action is where the remote continually fires the IR code as long as the button is held down. Example: Say you are watching a DVD and you want to Fast Forward (FF) it through, say about 15 seconds of play. On the OEM remote you would press and hold the FF button and at the desired spot in the movie, you then would release the FF button. On the Ultimate, if you press and hold the FF hard button, it will only advance the movie about 4 seconds and then you would have to press and hold that button again and again to get to your desired spot in the movie.

One of the other drawbacks to this remote is that the LCD screen is far too sensitive. After you have selective an Activity the LCD screen will advance to a different screen to control that device. It is very easy to accidentally hit the "HOME" icon, which gets the LCD screen back to the Activity page, and from there, if you are not very carful, you can easily touch a different activity and your components that are already on may shut off.

The LCD screen is not made of a material that resists scratches

I am not a person that likes to deal with tech support of a company that is not within the USA. Harmony is not an exception to this and sometime their support reps are hard to understand but the good thing is that it is a toll free call.

Another good thing is that this is a remote that will work to control all 15 of your devices when it works correctly and is simple for most people to operate.

The CONS outweigh the PROS

The PROS:

Can program Activities (Macros), which are able to turn on your devices (15 maximum) and switch them all to the proper inputs

Can work with IR or X-10 light switches and modules to control home lighting

Easy to set up and edit

No need to point the remote at the devices in order to control them

CONS:

Lightweight, not very substantial

LCD screen is too sensitive to the touch

Unable to program a hard key to do a "Hold Action"

LCD screen freezes

Entire remote become unresponsive

Need to reset HUB often

Need to reset remote often

Some IR codes not in Harmony database

In conclusion, I cannot say that I can recommend this remote to a friend.

ProsCons
Activities (macros) can be programed, do not have to point at the device because of RF HubDifficult to handle and requires 2 hands for best results, LCD touch screen too sensitive, LCD screen freezes on occasion,

Ratings
Design0
Features0
Ease of Setup0
Ease of Use0
Value0
Overall2

#3 ·
Better than nothing

review by captmike
Granted these remotes aren't perfect - all owners surely have some quibbles about them; not least of all being ergonomics and button placement. One thing I have to take exception to in your review though, is that you definitely can program a 'hold operation' to the remote: when you are setting the buttons up, there is an option for both 'short press' and 'long press'. You can set these to two different commands, or the same command for both. Long press is when you hold the button down. This can be tricky with some things - for example the fast forward and skip buttons are not separated - but it all depends on how you set it up. It definitely can be done, otherwise why wouldn't the volume command be affected? That works as a repeated command when you hold the button down. I've successfully set up hold commands for many buttons, including using the channel up/down button for my lighting, the fast forward/rewind buttons, these all work perfectly when held. Anyway, experiment and try some different things, these remotes aren't perfect but I can understand the manufacturer's trouble with making it all things to all people, and at a reasonable price (which many argue it is not, but I digress).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.