AVS Forum banner

Samsung GX-SM530CF Cable Box and Streaming Media Player with Built-In Wi-Fi

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  hjdiet 
#1 ·
Samsung GX-SM530CF Cable Box and Streaming Media Player with Built-In Wi-Fi

Description:
Introducing the Samsung Smart Media Player, the ultimate upgrade for any TV in your home. It serves as your cable box and gives you access to smart apps, including Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. All of it is controlled by just one remote to make your TV experience simple.

Details:
DetailValue
BindingElectronics
BrandSamsung
EAN0887276981567
FeatureFeatures cable feed-in and a Cable CARD slot
Wi-Fi Built-In
Features Samsung Smart Hub with access to streaming services including Amazon Instant Vide, Netflix, and Hulu+
Item Height1 inches
Item Length6.81 inches
Item Width9.17 inches
LabelSamsung Electronics
ManufacturerSamsung Electronics
MPNGX-SM530CF
Package Height3.4 inches
Package Length12.8 inches
Package Weight3.15 pounds
Package Width9.9 inches
PackageQuantity1
PartNumberGX-SM530CF
ProductGroupHome Theater
ProductTypeNameTUNER
PublisherSamsung Electronics
StudioSamsung Electronics
TitleSamsung GX-SM530CF Cable Box and Streaming Media Player with Built-In Wi-Fi
UPC887276981567
UPCList - UPCListElement887276981567
Item Weight1.7 pounds
CatalogNumberList - CatalogNumberListElementGX-SM530CF
ModelGX-SM530CF

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good option for folks that need a extra box, or want to get rid of their box rental and don't care about on Demand stuff

review by dartman

Got one of these to replace the POS SD DTA boxes I never used and they were charging me 2 bucks a month each for. Once I got a card and did the online and phone setup picked all my paid for channels just as clearly as the box it replaced. It has a basic channel guide and a bunch of smart TV functions and widgets, You Tube, Netflicks, Pandora, etc.
Comcast here in Portland doesn't charge for the cards but they do charge 9.95 a month for a "digital Outlet" for each card you get so at least here keep that fee in mind, other markets may be different.
Box is very small, has no front display other then a basic blue Power display and a white N/W display to show it's on and the networks working. It can use wired or WiFi and works with either as I tried both here but wired is more reliable of course as far as getting the guide data and everything else.
It also plays some of my networked media files and recognizes my HD HomeRun Prime and can tune cable channels through it as well, though that may be pretty useless seeing how it's a cable tuner already.
Sometimes when you first start it up after being off a while it forgets the guide data and takes a few minutes to load back up but lately always seems to eventually start working after a short time.
You can not use it to record stuff so no good for those thinking it might be good to capture shows off cable, just a tuner/ media player with smart functions.
Pretty happy with it so far for the price paid just keep in mind the limitations and fees that might get tacked on to make sure it will work for you.

ProsCons
Cheap, worksVery basic guide, only has HDMI output and only outputs PCM or raw digital sound so might be a problem with older sets that don't recognize PCM sound

Ratings
Overall4

#3 ·
I have two samsung gx-sm530cf smart media boxes. I use them solely as cable boxes with M cablecards from my provider (RCN) and they perform great. The units do not get a lot of use, but as of last November, they were working fine. Just the other day, I turned one of them on and I no longer can get the cable guide. Channels come in fine but when attempting to pull up the guide, I get the message ' the guide is being updated and is not available now - try again later'. RCN says the guide is generated by the box.
I get this on both my boxes - so I factory reset one of them, and going through the setup again, I get the message 'Network Error' when searching for my cable provider (when you put in your zip code). Box is on my home network fine.
It appears that Samsung shut down some site and that name or site is imbedded in the code of the gx-sm530cf box used for setup and guide data. Boxes get the channels but are unable to display the guide.
Anyone else????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.