Viewing Review: Excellent Audio and Video Quality - AVS Forum
Excellent Audio and Video Quality Edit
by constv Combined Rating: 4.7
I have owned this AVR for over 3 years, bought it refurbished for $999 (while the MSRP was about $1500 at the time.) Can't find a single negative thing to say about the quality of the sound and...
Pros Cons
  • top quality audio/video, well-built, 3 zones, 140-Watts
  • somewhat awkward/convoluted GUI, remote could have been simpler
I have owned this AVR for over 3 years, bought it refurbished for $999 (while the MSRP was about $1500 at the time.) Can't find a single negative thing to say about the quality of the sound and video this unit produces. When I bought it I had an older DVD player that I wasn't very pleased with in terms of the quality of the video output on my 50" Panasonic plasma monitor. I was literally blown away the moment I first played a DVD after connecting that older player to the 3808CI! It almost matched the output quality from my HD sources. In fact, many times when my son was watching DVDs I couldn't immediately tell whether it was a DVD or an HDTV cable movie. I am also very picky about my audio, and this 140-Watt receiver satisfies the audiophile in me by producing very clean, accurate, rich and powerful sound, giving a great workout to my PSB Synchrony speakers and sub. The set up was easy with Audyssey, although I had to tweak the settings a bit to my taste afterwards. The GUI is a bit awkward and counter-intuitive, which is my only complaint. This unit is now discontinueued in favor of receivers with more modern features such as AppleAirplay, HDRadio, etc. However, if you don't care for those (and you could easily add a $100 AppleTV to your setup with all the money you save) and 4 HDMI inputs/1 output are enough for your needs, you can't go wrong with a refurbished Denon 3808CI! You could this high-end powerhouse for a fraction of what you'd pay for the newer less powerful models!
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
RRF 10-06-2012, 06:47 PM

I have had my 3808ci for quite a while also, and concur on the quality of the upscaling.
You may not realize that it came with 2 remotes, one a large RF remote with lighted buttons under a clear screen, similar look to a touch screen, and a second IF remote, that is smaller and actually easier to operate. Most owners prefer the IF remote. I paired my 3808ci with a Sony TA-N77ES power amp and a WD Live Plus Media server and see no reason to update.

alan j 09-19-2012, 02:43 PM

Hi
I also own this 3808 and agree its a very nice unit does all i want it too
i recented added a NAD 272 150 wpc power amp via the preout to power my new run out OM 28's a great set up
this 3808 receiver was miles ahead of the previous 3806 i owned and tonally is very pleasent ..it is not thin and harsh or bright which i hate that why i still have it .It has the essential DTS HDaudio master and Doldy True HD decoders
i bitstream from an OPPO 83 with excellent stunning results.
Alan

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: