Viewing Review: Good till something better comes along - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Good till something better comes along Edit
by 50BMG Combined Rating: 3.1
My Re-furbished BD-D6500 arrived today. Easily hooked up and working.

I own several other Samsung BD players, and a Samsung Plasma TV, but this unit was for my home theater projector setup.

It...
Pros Cons
  • Has Dolby Digital Bitstream Re-Encode
  • It's not a PS3 - controls are primitive by comparison
My Re-furbished BD-D6500 arrived today. Easily hooked up and working.

I own several other Samsung BD players, and a Samsung Plasma TV, but this unit was for my home theater projector setup.

It supplements a PS3 which for reasons I won't get into here, I will not re-flash to the latest firmware.

The 6500 was selected because it will work with my home streaming network server, because it can bitstream re-encode my DTS-only BD disks to AC3 for my aging THX Surround Processor, and because I can re-flash it to keep it's encryption keys current without worrying about losing features or compatibility with my content.

The AC3 re-encode output [optical] works as advertised once the settings are appropriately customized. [ don't PCM Downsample unless Absolutely necessary ]

• Shuttle controls are not to be compared with the PS3 however. No step-reverse or slo-mo-reverse
  • I miss the BlueTooth Remote [ This one's IR ]
  • Icons and on-screen controls way Way too large for a 100-inch screen [even when set small]
  • Not enough detail in the Streaming media screens [only 8 titles at a time]
  • 3D to 2D setting won't allow 3D disks to work [ media complains: 2D display ]
  • TosLink surround output - no Coax
  • Audio sync with image - Excellent [ boy, is that a relief! ]
  • AllShare Media playback now chooses from multiple Audio tracks [very cool!]

Still, for the price I paid - it gets me back my THX DD capability.

I wouldn't need this if the studios were kind enough to give us an alternate DD5.1 track for ENGLISH when the main track is DTS. mad.gif

Note: Firmware 1017.3 as reviewed
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: