Viewing Review: Very happy so far! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Very happy so far! Edit
by infuriatedrain Combined Rating: 4.2
I bought this center channel speaker about a month ago after reading some information on They had listed this as the #1 center channel speaker to buy for 2012. I had an extremely...
Pros Cons
  • Heighth doesn't block TV, several drivers, hits high frequencies great
  • Doesn't hit too low of frequencies, have to sit in front of it almost directly
I bought this center channel speaker about a month ago after reading some information on They had listed this as the #1 center channel speaker to buy for 2012. I had an extremely difficult time choosing between this, the Yamaha NS-444, or the Polk C20. Obviously, I ended up going with this one, and for a couple of reasons:
1)As the site mentions, this speaker has a great frequency range, more impressively on the high end. As it says, lower frequency sounds should be covered by a subwoofer anyway, which I found to make sense and
2) this speaker is big, but the height was perfect for me. I prefer to have my center channel on my entertainment center in front of my HDTV. Therefore, I have only about 6.5 inches to work with, otherwise the speaker would block the screen. I really didn't want to have to mount a speaker to the ceiling, wall behind the TV, etc.

I also thought that having 4 small woofers, along with the tweeter in the center, all together would create a very rich and dynamic sound. After receiving and hooking it up, I must say it really does. I have a hearing deficit, thus I've always had a very difficult time hearing dialogue in movies. I would end up cranking the volume and cranking the level going to the center channel, which I felt I shouldn't have to do, just to hear what people were saying. After hooking this up, wow... I ended up turning the center channel level down to half of what I had it at, and really I still find it quite loud, sometimes TOO loud, at times. ( I think it is just the receiver that I have, Yamaha RX-V371, that I have to turn the center channel level up. I have heard of others with this issue ).

I went to my usual movies to test this bad boy out. First was Saving Private Ryan. Instantly, I noticed a huge difference. There were bullets, voices, sounds, etc there that I never heard before from my previous center channel. I never really noticed how important and how large of a percentage of the soundtrack comes from the center channel until plugging this in. Next up, The Dark Knight. Same as before, there was dialogue and sound effects there that I never had noticed before.

My only complaint is: it seems that I have to sit directly in front of this speaker to really benefit from the sounds. If I sit off to the side of it, there is a noticeable sound difference (and perhaps this is the case with most/all center channel speakers). Not a big deal, but can be inconvenient at times, like if I want to lay down while watching something.

I will say, I often keep looking at the NS-444 because it has 2 much larger woofers and can cover deeper frequencies. As said before, I know my subwoofer should hit those lower notes, but it does make me wonder how much and if better movies would sound going with a much larger center with larger woofers. I may in the future try to test this out, but for now I am happy enough with my purchase and would happily recommend it to anyone! I have this paired with the NS-333's for fronts and it sounds incredible. I really can't wait until i can afford to purchase the NS-777's to compliment this speaker!
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
The Film / Movie:
Audio Quality:
Special Features:
Ease of Use: