Viewing Review: Basic But Solid! - AVS Forum
Basic But Solid! Edit
by PGHammer21A Combined Rating: 5.0
I waited until today to set up this particular TV (which replaces a 42" Philips plasma) in my bedroom - it's getting a steady diet of ClearQAM via Comcast of Prince George's County (MD) for now...
Pros Cons
  • 1080p, LED, low price
  • None for price
I waited until today to set up this particular TV (which replaces a 42" Philips plasma) in my bedroom - it's getting a steady diet of ClearQAM via Comcast of Prince George's County (MD) for now (the Philips supprted CableCARD, which the Sony does not - hence a Tivo Premiere will be feeding it content via HDMI in the immediate future). Still, at the same resolutions and with the same source material, it flat-out spanks the plasma it replaced - badly - despite being one-fourth its price; the Philips was $1800 (new closeout from BJ's Wholesale). Bouncing between 720p and 1080i is not a problem, either (even double-bounce or triple-bounce - one example is going between "Extreme Makeover" on 7.1 (720p), "Charlie Brown" on 5.1 (720p) and "1600 PENN" on 4.1 (1080i) and "Two Broke Girls" on 9.1 (1080i) - a resolution Obstacle Course. Normally, a basic HDTV - even an LED HDTV - will hiccup somewhere; this one didn't.
Another (pleasant) surprise is that this HDTV supports Dolby Digital *itself* - no outboard decoder is necessary. (It also supports optical-out for audio for driving external home-theater setups, so you can still use existing home-theater gear.)
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: