Viewing Review: Good for Windows Media Center - AVS Forum
Good for Windows Media Center Edit
by JHBrandt Combined Rating: 4.0
I bought this to control Windows Media Center on Windows 7 and for that purpose it works great. Just plug the infrared sensor into a USB port, put in some AAA batteries, and you're set! It also has...
Pros Cons
  • Works right away in Win 7/Win 8. No drivers required.
  • Joypad is a bit sluggish; IR sensor has distractingly bright red LED
I bought this to control Windows Media Center on Windows 7 and for that purpose it works great. Just plug the infrared sensor into a USB port, put in some AAA batteries, and you're set! It also has a joypad to emulate a mouse, which is handy when using other apps.

As a mouse, the joypad is a bit sluggish. You can speed it up somewhat with the Control Panel Mouse applet, but that can make it tough to position the mouse pointer precisely (e.g., for resizing windows by dragging their borders). But it's fine for occasional use and it avoids having to keep an actual mouse attached to the PC.

Aside from the joypad, the remote keys emulate keyboard keys, which limits its usefulness in other apps (unless they happen to use similar keys to WMC). And the IR sensor has a red LED that blinks brightly when you use it. That lets you know it's working but can be distracting.

Bottom line: it gives WMC that "appliance" feel for a very low price.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
lagittaja 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM

I have this remote as well Bought it from mindfactory.de December 2010 for 18,54€ (roughly 24.15$ now, at that time currency rates it was 24.85$)
Been using it ever since on my HTPC. Still working quite fine! I have no gripes for it, except perhaps the aforementioned slugginess of the joypad. Doesn't eat batteries either, they last very long.
I use it on Win7x64 in WMC and it works very nice. Also with MPC-HC it works nice after you custom map the keys, might be the same for VLC, but I don't use VLC.
Definitely one of THE best value remotes out there.
Amazon says Ortek brand but I think it's OEM is Hama. At least mine has Hama logo on it and the model number is 00052451. Don't remember if I still have the packaging..

300ohm 04-25-2013, 05:28 PM

Yes, it works great in windows 8. I have been using it with windows 8 (CP then RP and now win8 pro with media center) for over a year now. Its comfortable to use and durable as Ive dropped it at least a dozen times, heh, and it keeps on ticking. . This exact model is sold by many on Amazon, mine is model VRC-1100 and was made in China, and I recall paying about $14 for it.
When the reviewer said the joypad is sluggish, that's a bit of a misnomer. When first pressed, the cursor moves slowly but when held in longer it then moves faster. It was designed that way to help zero in on the target. It does takes a little practice to get used to it. This remote also works fine in VLC player.
It has a Sleep button on it, which after changing Sleep to Hibernate in windows 8, allows me to shut off the computer from a distance. Very handy.
All in all, its the best WMC remote for its price range and better than most that cost three times as much.

OugaBooga 02-12-2013, 11:54 AM

Cool, as long as this is under 20$ & it works with win 8 i'll bite.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: