Viewing Review: HDMI 3D AVR Sony STR-DH830 - AVS Forum
HDMI 3D AVR Sony STR-DH830 Edit
by eaamon Combined Rating: 4.8
there is a learning curve I had to go through from my old sony AVR from old Montgomery Wards. some kids may have never heard of them,Wards that is. it was a oldie STR-D615 still strong. the new 830...
Pros Cons
  • home theater experience 48Khz and 96Khz audio
  • weak on gui and slow to switch.
there is a learning curve I had to go through from my old sony AVR from old Montgomery Wards. some kids may have never heard of them,Wards that is. it was a oldie STR-D615 still strong. the new 830 coupled with my new 55HX850 and in a 17' by 20' room with 7.1 speakers. the learning curve was because there is no 7.1 speaker configuration in the setup menu. but it does have 5/2.1 and 3/4.1 setups as a substitute. set up the speakers and tried the auto-calibration. had a error pop up from speaker error 33. it made sound fine but after further searching found cal mic was not fully plugged in. eek.gif you can alter any speaker after the setup is finished manually. I used a pair of old JVC for my front high along with 3 new BIC Formula FH6-LCR two rear and one as center. I have a rebuilt pair of Onkyo Fusion 47 speakers, new tweeters and new 20Hz capable subs and a BIC V-1220 sub added into the mix.
when I first set it up just 4 speakers were used. my volume was as high as 45. but since getting the new BICs and adding my old sub now 7 speakers, 24 is almost as loud as the 45 was. I usually use 15 to 17 for regular viewing. what a difference with a room full of sound.
I used the Disney WOW to check speakers polarity. and the Visions disc that comes with it puts out 96Khz audio that amazes me. I did have difficulty getting 7.1 audio on their test video but it never shows 7.1 audio. so I guess that the 96Khz is the 7.1 sound. it should not mean much as I do not believe any of my BR disc are 7.1 only.
overall if it lasts as long as my old one. there will be very many movies viewed. I have this as a dedicated HT AVR. I do not own ipod or iphone to test it but there was a connector/cradle that came with it.
I would have upgraded to the 1030 if I had the need for wifi and DLNA.
I had a bunch of gift cards from my credit card points and used it at best buy 299 just added 110 cash to get it. real happy so far. sounds as good as a AVSforum HT get together that had a Anthem 500 set up....maybe even better as my from Onkyo's have sub LFE output.biggrin.gif
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
eaamon 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM

if you are looking at this one I might recommend waiting as prices will lower for clear out.
they why.....the new models that are 4K TV ready, have already been introduced like the str-dh740.
almost identical to the 830 in every way, just a power difference.
it may be the amp is different too.
I expect the 830 will be a clearance item soon keep your eyes open it may go way less than $300.

eaamon 02-23-2013, 06:12 AM

one more thing I forgot to add. the warranty is two years.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: