Viewing Review: Nice features but buggy - AVS Forum
Nice features but buggy Edit
by w4atl Combined Rating: 3.7
This receiver had most all of the features I was looking for in a home theater receiver. 7.1, HDMI support from multiple sources, nice sound when listening to music, ability to hook up an iPod to...
Pros Cons
  • Flexibility - lots of features
  • Buggy firmware - often requiring a reset
This receiver had most all of the features I was looking for in a home theater receiver. 7.1, HDMI support from multiple sources, nice sound when listening to music, ability to hook up an iPod to the USB port and ability to add HD radio through the Port input. Unfortunately, the receiver has a lot of bugs that have not been addressed with firmware updates. Network streaming works well once you get logged in and I like the display on the TV. Sound setup is easy.

Here are my issues and hints:
When using the optional HD Radio through the Port input, the HD Radio requires constant resetting by flipping the switch on the front of the optional HD Radio back and forth. Sometimes you need to flip it while listening to an HD station. But you always have to flip it if you haven't listened to a station for a while.

Occasionally, Zone 2 will turn off and you have to manually select a zone from the front panel.

In order to log into Sirius you have to put in your password as all caps. Took me a year to figure that out. Found the solution posted on AVS forum.

Firmware updates take about 1 hour. Make sure you have a UPS hooked up to your receiver. And the update most likely won't do any good.

Often streaming on the network will stop working and it requires cutting power from the receiver to get it back. I put in a power strip with a power switch so I can reset it quickly

I have recently started using iRule with the receiver and it has gotten a little more stable using iRule for some reason. But occasionally it does require a reset.

Overall a good value if you can put up with the bugs.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
dryloch 04-02-2013, 08:05 PM

I have been very lucky with my 609. It has been flawless. The newer models are really bad though on the hdmi ports shorting out. This may be my last Onkyo receiver. Yamaha seems like the most reliable brand right now, better then Denon or Sony.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: