Viewing Review: Huge, but awesome! - AVS Forum
Huge, but awesome! Edit
by TheUO Combined Rating: 4.6
Firstly, this thing is a beast! It weighs 70 pounds and has roughly the same dimensions as a large floor standing speaker (on its side). When it was delivered, I thought it must have been a...
Pros Cons
  • Great sound quality, very loud and distortion free, very clean and clear, can actually hear movie dialog
  • Cost, weight, size
Firstly, this thing is a beast! It weighs 70 pounds and has roughly the same dimensions as a large floor standing speaker (on its side). When it was delivered, I thought it must have been a mistake and they sent me another floor standing tower instead of the CC-690, but I was the one who was mistaken. Turns out it was the CC-690, just packaged on its end... Point made, pay attention to dimensions and weight before purchasing. Pictures of the speaker give no reference as to the actual size of this thing and I assumed it was a lot smaller than it turned out to be, which I would have known if I would have payed attention to the size and weight specs and not just the performance.

Secondly, it's expensive. I was able to get a decent discount but it still ran me somewhere around $1,250.00... Yes, this is a pricey speaker (to me).

However, given all of that, I wouldn't dream of returning or replacing it. This thing is so clean, clear and loud you can actually hear the dialog in movies, no thanks to the usually terrible Hollywood sound mixing. I can not only get it to equalize out with all the other speakers (even without going all the way up on its level while going down with the others), I can easily get it to overwhelm all the other channels if I wanted. Of course, I don't just have the center drowning everything else out, I keep it equalized, however it can be done. This is something most other centers seem to struggle with. Who knows, maybe it's my receiver.

Matched with the Studio 60 floor standing towers as fronts and you can almost just call it quits right there. I couldn't, of course, but the combination of the Studio 60 fronts and the CC-690 leaves little left to be desired, sound quality wise.

Love everything about it but the price. Even with the incredible size, quality, and performance of this speaker, I'm still hesitant to entirely justify the price. Some of the cost is definitely in the name alone, but at least it performs like a > $1K speaker should, in my opinion.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: