Viewing Review: SUPERB - ONE OF A KIND - AVS Forum
SUPERB - ONE OF A KIND Edit
by Electric_Haggis Combined Rating: 4.4
I have three KRK Rokit 10-3 powered midfield studio monitors at the front in a 7.0 surround setup, with a Marantz AV7005 pre/pro, two KRK Rokit 5 at the rear, and two Infinity ES250 as side...
Pros Cons
  • See below
  • See below
I have three KRK Rokit 10-3 powered midfield studio monitors at the front in a 7.0 surround setup, with a Marantz AV7005 pre/pro, two KRK Rokit 5 at the rear, and two Infinity ES250 as side surrounds (dipole mode).
No need for a subwoofer.

I use the setup often for home theater purposes, but also for testing mixes from work (film & tv post house) and mixes from sound studios around town.

I have been absolutely staggered at how well these perform - especially for the insanely low price.
Make no mistake - These are a league above the better-known 2-way Rokit models.

PROS:
* Exceptionally clean, accurate & revealing - yet smooth and non-fatiguing.
* Excellent 3-way tri-amplified design.
* Front bass port is terrific, makes placement a lot easier, and bass response more even.
* Uniquely mid-field / near-field friendly.
* Bass response is usable down to the low 30Hz region - yet it's very tight all the way down, with no booming or bloating (thanks partly to the front bass port).
* XLR, RCA and TRS inputs.
* Surprisingly flexible with room & back-wall placement.
* They're relatively large - but only as large as they need to be.
* Plenty of power.
* Having the flexibility to rotate the tweeter/midrange to have them on their sides is a godsend.

Compared these to the Dynaudio DM5A and DM6A Mk II, Yamaha HS-80M, JBL LSR2328, Mackie HR8 Mk II and Event 2020.
These are just unbeatable. Simple as that.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
rush2049 04-30-2013, 01:33 PM

I brought my pair of 10-3's to the latest North East Speaker get together. They were one of the top full range speakers in attendance. They fill a room quite nicely and can run well above reference. The anemic amp on the 10" driver will be the limiter factor though, I hit it try to play a 7hz note at +4 dB.

lovinthehd 04-23-2013, 08:46 PM

I agree, a few measly 10" woofers ain't going to cut it for most of us. If you're propping this up on your desk in a small room maybe...

djkest 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM

"You'll actually get better results not needing to rely on a separate sub, as having 2 (or in my case, 3) separate 10-inch woofers gives you a more even room response."

No, you'll actually get better results with multiple sealed subwoofers and a DSP to EQ to your room. I prefer the sound of a sealed sub with it's smooth roll off and no worries about below-tuning excursion that ported speakers have. And unlike main speakers, you can place the subwoofers at ideal locations for bass, instead of ideal locations for your speakers.

GIEGAR 04-15-2013, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll have a look at the VXT8 too.

Upgrade? Last year I was intrigued by the value offered by powered PA speakers. I mostly researched 12inch 2-ways, but came across these which looked very interesting (appealed to my sense of the unorthodox), flexible and very powerful:
http://line6.com/stagesource-l3m/overview
(A sub would be needed though.)

Electric_Haggis 04-14-2013, 11:45 PM

Be aware that they'll usually sound like rubbish in most showrooms.
I actually bought mine, relying mostly on the reviews, and am glad I didn't rely on my ears

Being an upgrade-junky, I may well look to replace them in the future. But at this stage, I have no idea with what. There's nothing like them out there, as far as I know...

If size is an issue for you, VXT8's matched with a sub might be worth considering, but I'd personally go with the 10-3.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: