Viewing Review: SUPERB - ONE OF A KIND - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

SUPERB - ONE OF A KIND Edit
by Electric_Haggis Combined Rating: 4.4
I have three KRK Rokit 10-3 powered midfield studio monitors at the front in a 7.0 surround setup, with a Marantz AV7005 pre/pro, two KRK Rokit 5 at the rear, and two Infinity ES250 as side...
Pros Cons
  • See below
  • See below
I have three KRK Rokit 10-3 powered midfield studio monitors at the front in a 7.0 surround setup, with a Marantz AV7005 pre/pro, two KRK Rokit 5 at the rear, and two Infinity ES250 as side surrounds (dipole mode).
No need for a subwoofer.

I use the setup often for home theater purposes, but also for testing mixes from work (film & tv post house) and mixes from sound studios around town.

I have been absolutely staggered at how well these perform - especially for the insanely low price.
Make no mistake - These are a league above the better-known 2-way Rokit models.

PROS:
* Exceptionally clean, accurate & revealing - yet smooth and non-fatiguing.
* Excellent 3-way tri-amplified design.
* Front bass port is terrific, makes placement a lot easier, and bass response more even.
* Uniquely mid-field / near-field friendly.
* Bass response is usable down to the low 30Hz region - yet it's very tight all the way down, with no booming or bloating (thanks partly to the front bass port).
* XLR, RCA and TRS inputs.
* Surprisingly flexible with room & back-wall placement.
* They're relatively large - but only as large as they need to be.
* Plenty of power.
* Having the flexibility to rotate the tweeter/midrange to have them on their sides is a godsend.

Compared these to the Dynaudio DM5A and DM6A Mk II, Yamaha HS-80M, JBL LSR2328, Mackie HR8 Mk II and Event 2020.
These are just unbeatable. Simple as that.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
rush2049 04-30-2013, 01:33 PM

I brought my pair of 10-3's to the latest North East Speaker get together. They were one of the top full range speakers in attendance. They fill a room quite nicely and can run well above reference. The anemic amp on the 10" driver will be the limiter factor though, I hit it try to play a 7hz note at +4 dB.

lovinthehd 04-23-2013, 08:46 PM

I agree, a few measly 10" woofers ain't going to cut it for most of us. If you're propping this up on your desk in a small room maybe...

djkest 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM

"You'll actually get better results not needing to rely on a separate sub, as having 2 (or in my case, 3) separate 10-inch woofers gives you a more even room response."

No, you'll actually get better results with multiple sealed subwoofers and a DSP to EQ to your room. I prefer the sound of a sealed sub with it's smooth roll off and no worries about below-tuning excursion that ported speakers have. And unlike main speakers, you can place the subwoofers at ideal locations for bass, instead of ideal locations for your speakers.

GIEGAR 04-15-2013, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll have a look at the VXT8 too.

Upgrade? Last year I was intrigued by the value offered by powered PA speakers. I mostly researched 12inch 2-ways, but came across these which looked very interesting (appealed to my sense of the unorthodox), flexible and very powerful:
http://line6.com/stagesource-l3m/overview
(A sub would be needed though.)

Electric_Haggis 04-14-2013, 11:45 PM

Be aware that they'll usually sound like rubbish in most showrooms.
I actually bought mine, relying mostly on the reviews, and am glad I didn't rely on my ears

Being an upgrade-junky, I may well look to replace them in the future. But at this stage, I have no idea with what. There's nothing like them out there, as far as I know...

If size is an issue for you, VXT8's matched with a sub might be worth considering, but I'd personally go with the 10-3.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: