Viewing Review: Still Great, if not Greater 3 Years Later - AVS Forum
Still Great, if not Greater 3 Years Later Edit
by p5browne Combined Rating: 4.0
Orginally manufactured From the Fall of 2009 to the Spring of 2010. Was to be sold at a Suggested List Price of $6000.
Fall Versions appeared to have been a better Product than the later Spring...
Pros Cons
  • Blacks Are Black! Matte Screen. Improves with age! 3360 LEDS for Fully Backlit!
  • Off Angle Blooming, Service Menu White Balances no where near Spec, THX possibly has AutoColour.
Orginally manufactured From the Fall of 2009 to the Spring of 2010. Was to be sold at a Suggested List Price of $6000.
Fall Versions appeared to have been a better Product than the later Spring Versions. (DSE Complaints)
Difficulties at that time, of selling an LG Product in that Price Range. Subsequently most owners ended purchasing at substantial discounts, but from recent listings, seems to be holding it's own in the upper $1000, to lower $2000 range.
I Own 2 due to wife liking mine and wanted her own!
Problems originally arose due to Meters and Calibrating Equipment not being able to do a good job of setting up the set.
Subsequent Updates in the Calibrating Softwares started to bring this set into it's full capability. Between experimenting, and talking with others, I've now managed to make this one heck of a good looking set!
First thing to go was the Wireless Media Box. I found that it seemed to have a negative impact on the overall PQ.
Currently, the wife's 55LHX gets its signal, and calibration from an iScan Duo. Mine from the Lumagen Radiance XE-3D.
Recent calibrations using a Spectracal C6 profiled off the i1Pro , and Calman 5.1.1 has made this an amazing looking set! Since neither the wife nor myself sit anywhere outside the 30 degree range, the blooming is not a problem.
Due to the Black Panel and Frame, different sized sceens are not a problem in that the Panel Blends in with Bezel and are Moot when watching. All you see is just the Picture. Great set, that taught me a lot about calibration. Hope it lasts forever, but then with OLED starting to rear it's head, there may only be a few years left before they get recycled down our internal food chain.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
p5browne 04-18-2013, 05:13 PM

Most likely, the defective units were from the Spring 2010 Production run, when LG was trying to cut the production costs. Both of mine are Nov 2009.

KONICA TECH 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Sounds like they were mishandled during shipping or LG made a bad batch that slipped by their QC. Too bad is right, they are awesome!

PoppaC 04-18-2013, 09:22 AM

I bought two of them around Christmas time 2010, and had to return both because of DSE. Too bad because that TV would have been awesome otherwise.

KONICA TECH 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM

I am still enjoying mine, tried both the 65 VT 50 and the Sharp 70" and returned both.
The only sets that will come close to the picture are the Sharp Elite or the Sony 950
in a larger size which is what I wanted. Until they come with something better in the
$2,500.00 price range my LHX remains in my living room!

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: