Viewing Review: A feature-rich receiver that performs well overall, but Onkyo customer service is non-existent. - AVS Forum
A feature-rich receiver that performs well overall, but Onkyo customer service is non-existent. Edit
by scottsh Combined Rating: 3.5
I purchased the Onkyo HT-RC360 to go with my new home theater. I selected it because of the extensive feature set, solid reviews of its HDMI switching, and the price point (
Pros Cons
  • Great set of features, support for HDMI-switching, fast at day-to-day operations, internet-based ROM updates
  • When it failed, Onkyo did nothing to help except refer to a local reseller
I purchased the Onkyo HT-RC360 to go with my new home theater. I selected it because of the extensive feature set, solid reviews of its HDMI switching, and the price point (<$400).

Setup: Like any other receiver to physically place and setup, only really unique feature for me is the Audessy microphone-based calibration. I also have a physical ethernet connection to a wireless bridge although I don't use the networked capabilities that often. The online ROM update is a great touch, although it takes way longer than it seems like it should to d/l and update and it also doesn't display anything onscreen while it does this. You're only feedback is from the information on the front panel.

Remote/UI: I like the UI quite a bit, with its ability to output on an HDMI screen a big plus. The graphics are clear and the language is easy to understand. I've used other (older) receivers with on-screen displays that were cryptic or hard to read but this one was great. The remote is also above average with the most commonly-used buttons right up front and straight forward. We use this remote as the daily controller for both the receiver itself and the cable box and I have no complaints. I don't use it to control my Epson projector's power because for some reason that doesn't work right but I don't fault the remote for that.

Video switching: Overall the video switching is great. I was a little worried about some issues it might introduce in the HDMI-stream but there are none. My input sources are an Xbox 360 and cable box via HDMI, and a Wii via component in. All look as good as can be (the Wii obviously isn't great but again, that's not Onkyo's fault.)

Sound quality: My room is small (15x10) and this receiver is used only for TV/Xbox so I haven't really stressed the audio capabilities. I have it hooked to my relatively old Boston Acoustic 5-speaker setup and it works just fine. I did play around a little bit with the ability to stream music to it from my Windows PC but again I didn't really stress it. My needs here just aren't that much and it is certainly doing the job.

Customer service: in a word, terrible. Onkyo doesn't offer much in the way of customer service and instead relies on a local dealer/repair network to resolve issues. When the video switching system in my receiver failed, I had to take the thing to a local dealer's shop and wait a month for them to get a replacement board. When it finally came in, they had it back to me that day. So far the receiver has held up, but I'm now afraid that if it fails again - now out of warranty - I'll be looking at a huge repair bill. Contrast this with many other companies that offer direct replacement service and you'll see what I mean.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: