Viewing Review: Excellent in-class projector - AVS Forum
Excellent in-class projector Edit
by issdar Combined Rating: 4.1
The Benq W1070 3D Projector is an excellent in-class projector with minor flaws. After reading other negative reviews on this projector regarding the bad menu, fan noise and light bleed, I would...
Pros Cons
  • Good contrast ratio, 1080p, low noise, adequate brightness with ambient light, inexpensive, easy to navigate menu and simple setup
  • Remote looks cheap
The Benq W1070 3D Projector is an excellent in-class projector with minor flaws. After reading other negative reviews on this projector regarding the bad menu, fan noise and light bleed, I would have to say that I completely disagree. The only flaw I found was more in regards to the remote rather than the projector which isn't a big deal in my opinion. The remote is quite smaller than my old Epson Home Cinema 710HD Projector and feels cheaply made (i.e., made in china).

I have the projector front ceiling mounted about 5 feet from where the seating area is and can barely hear the projector. My old projector was the Epson Home Cinema 710HD and I'm able to detect a huge difference in the contrast ratio; specifically how black the blacks are. The brightness of the projector is adequate with light from the nearby windows and doors although the colors do get washed out some. I have not noticed any rainbow artifacts that were mentioned in other reviews. I haven't been able to take advantage of the 3D effects but I assume based on the quality of the projector thus far, I should find no flaws with that aspect neither. I experienced no difficulties in navigating through the menu, since every thing was listed simple and precise. The screen I am using is a DIY material from Carl's Place and works well measuring at about 95". The projector required very little color calibration as it was good out of the box. Overall this projector excels in the under $1000 price range and I would highly recommended this projector in its class.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
MefLiszto 06-26-2014, 08:46 PM

Which Carl's screen surface did you purchase? I am considering the High-contrast Gray, or the silver.

issdar 05-11-2013, 03:01 PM

No, the remote is not backlit (reminded me, I should've added that to the review). It's not a big issue, it pretty much does its job, but a sturdier and lit remote would've been nice.

ikkuranus 05-11-2013, 04:32 AM

Is the remote backlit? I'm considering upgrading from the Optoma HD20 and would really miss that feature but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: