Viewing Review: Nice try... - AVS Forum
Nice try... Edit
by mswope63 Combined Rating: 2.7
This receiver has a solid sound and, paired with decent speakers, sounds awesome. I have it in my living room and it mainly serves to power my video setup so that my family can enjoy TV, DVDs,...
Pros Cons
  • Power, sound quality
  • Net tunes, On-screen programming, flaky Zone 2, memory loss
This receiver has a solid sound and, paired with decent speakers, sounds awesome. I have it in my living room and it mainly serves to power my video setup so that my family can enjoy TV, DVDs, etc. Zone 2 is set up to provide audio to speakers in other parts of the house. In general this works fine.
- Occasionally, the left channel goes out on Zone 2. I've isolated this to the receiver by swapping inputs (problem stays with Left Channel) and swapping speakers (problem stays with Left Channel).
- NetTunes pretty much was still-born. Onkyo never had this working well - their NetTunes server was inconsisten. The local software for working on a PC was slow and painful.
- Finally, I've noticed that after a brief power outage that the receiver loses all settings. The outage can be as short as it takes for the receiver to lose power (1 sec is plenty). There doesn't appear to be a battery anywhere, nor a super-capacitor on board that I can find. Buying an out-board UPS just to keep the receiver settings is pretty silly.
- The on-screen diags/settings are DOS3.3 era... Pretty ugly, but they work.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: