Viewing Review: InFocus X1A Review - AVS Forum
InFocus X1A Review Edit
by coastercard Combined Rating: 2.4
I purchased the InFocus X1A used, as my introduction to the projector world, and for the price I paid was very pleased with what I got. I used this projector on a 110" bedsheet, (definitely a...
Pros Cons
  • Inexpensive, Straightforward Menu, HD is above par for price
  • Difficult to attain HD, No HDMI, Low Lumens, Occasionally loud
I purchased the InFocus X1A used, as my introduction to the projector world, and for the price I paid was very pleased with what I got. I used this projector on a 110" bedsheet, (definitely a budget setup) and was satisfied with viewing at night in the dark. However, daytime viewing was difficult as this was a moderately lit room and the projector's light output seemed pretty low.

Setup was quite simple once I had all of the proper cables. In order to obtain an HD picture, I had to obtain a component to VGA adapter, as well as a long enough component cable. Once everything was connected properly, the image was very clear from the 11' viewing distance. The projector didn't have many features, just slight adjustments to the image distortion, RGB levels, contrast, and brightness. It does allow you to ceiling mount which is how I made use of the projector, but other than that, I didn't make use of the menu that often. The under use of menu could be due to the fact that there was no remote provided with the projector. In order to turn the projector on, a switch had to be flipped on the unit itself.

The projector has trouble handling deep blacks, as I found when watching 2001: A Space Odyssey. Even when watching in a pitch dark room, some scenes didn't depict the rich black levels that made the movie a cinematic masterpiece.

When I purchased the projector, it was beginning to show signs of use. One of the mirrors had become unglued in the light tunnel causing the image to be faded on one of the sides. Also upon startup, after approximately 200 hours of use, a "whirring" sound could be heard as well as the image taking a long time to appear.

Overall, this projector was a great value and one I will continue to use until I am able to purchase a new one. Even though, after quite a bit of use, it began to show it's age, this projector was the perfect first projector for me(and allowed me to throw a pretty popular Super Bowl party for 30 people). I wouldn't recommend spending more than a couple hundred dollars on this projector, but if you can get a good deal on it, it might just be the right starter for you as well.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: