Viewing Review: Blu-ray Player built well - AVS Forum
Blu-ray Player built well Edit
by herushan Combined Rating: 4.7
Needed to upgrade my LG BD390 to something that would be supported longer as newer Blu-ray discs did not always load nice, and latest firmware made DVD playback difficult. After reading about OPPO...
Pros Cons
  • Quiet and fast blu-ray drive, Built well (unit and remote), Adjustable display lights (bright to off), External WiFi device, and Excellent Video.
  • Expensive, Unable to remove unwanted apps, and Gets bogged down if directories are too large.
Needed to upgrade my LG BD390 to something that would be supported longer as newer Blu-ray discs did not always load nice, and latest firmware made DVD playback difficult. After reading about OPPO back after I got my LG, I decided to see if what they had to offer for my media room upgrade. The BDP-103 was fairly new and had many features I wanted (3D, Good support, etc.) and knew it would be well supported. I did look at Sony and Panasonic players as well but felt that OPPO would provide me with what I wanted for a bit for money though. OPPO does provide great hardware in the device.

OPPO packages their players well and the player even comes in a nice reusable bag (mine had a two inch sewing mistake in it) that you can use for shopping if you would like. The BDP-103 has a good weight to it and the remote is well built and can take some kid abuse well. Setting up the device was easy and straight forward, and having multiple HDMI ports is a big plus. I have it connected through an Onkyo receiver to that passes it through to the TV. First time using it I was pleased with its speed and ability to provide great image upgrading of DVD content onto my TV. I also loved how quick and quiet the drive and device is compared to others I have used especially for newer Blu-ray movies. The home screen is nice and simple with the key items in the middle of the screen with apps in a scroll at the bottom. The apps are good, but I wish I could configure them. The player does find devices on the network well and read data discs with good support for formats. If you have large amounts of files in a single folder then the player can get bogged down and non responsive as you navigate through at a quick speed. I do like the Gracenote feature to my music and how it displays the information of the songs. Wish the unit could have been about $100 cheaper but it might have been more plastic then metal (I prefer metal). I am looking to get a usb keyboard for the device as Youtube is not fun to search with the remote.

Overall I would recommend the OPPO BDP-103 to anyone that wants a well built, quiet, and fast Blu-ray player and does not mind paying for a unit that should last. I hope OPPO can continue to provide high quality units for a long time as I do not like the plastic devices that other manufacturers are going to.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: