Viewing Review: Excellent - AVS Forum
Excellent Edit
by gnickers Combined Rating: 3.9
Features

I have no interest in 3D so have not tested that. While it has build in network capabilities, like every device on the planet, i use a dedicated media center running XBMC. Those are...
Pros Cons
  • Plays almost everything, from new discs, 2nd hand discs, and downloads, unlike other blu-ray players i have owned.
  • The construction of the tray could be more solid.
Features

I have no interest in 3D so have not tested that. While it has build in network capabilities, like every device on the planet, i use a dedicated media center running XBMC. Those are frills anyway, who cares if your dvd or tv has a YouTube app. Built-in vendor apps can never compete on features or power with a popular open source project like XBMC or mythTV. The most useful feature is the eSata port which I have connected to a large external hard drive to hold blu-ray concerts and MKV multi-channel audio files. This provides the best quality without the compromises of a PC-based media center. USB based external drives just don't have the throughput for large blu-ray files at 1080p.

Setup

The unit is easy to set up and simple to use. It just works. The HDMI output to both an Onkyo AVR and an Integra pre/pro are flawless. The firmware updates are simple, they install automatically over the internet. The remote is basic but simple and effective. The user interface is nothing special but you don't need a pretty gui or a fancy case to get state of the art a/v equipment.

Performance

Picture and sound are excellent. The speed of operation is good, unlike some other blu-ray players. Why i like this unit is that it just works. The performance is spotless, it even works on problem discs. The chipset was state of the art at the time of purchase. DTS-HD master sounds awesome thru my 11 channel system running DSX. The video is gorgeous on my Kuro 101FD. I've never had a problem with the 3 Oppo units i have owned and have recommended them to friends.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: