Viewing Review: A solid if unexciting performer - AVS Forum
A solid if unexciting performer Edit
by hawkster27 Combined Rating: 4.1
I paid $282 for this player in September, 2009. It has performed well since then. I use it primarily just for blu-ray playback, and it has done that reliably (except for one disc; I'll get to...
Pros Cons
  • As its primary function, plays blu-rays reliably
  • DLNA seemed to be more trouble than it was worth
I paid $282 for this player in September, 2009. It has performed well since then. I use it primarily just for blu-ray playback, and it has done that reliably (except for one disc; I'll get to that). It will stream youtube and Netflix, and I used it for that for a while until I got a WDTV Live Hub for my streaming chores, a much better device for that. It will also stream Cinema Now, but I never subscribed to that service. Roxio sold it to Best Buy, and for now they seem to be making a go of it.

Both picture and sound on the BD390 seem to be up to par. I connect it via HDMI to my Onkyo PRSC-5508 preamp, which is able to decode the Dolby True HD and DTS-HD (which I prefer when it is available on the disc). The player is too old for 3D, but I have zero interest in that format. Inital setup was straightforward and painless. The UI is adequate, neither awful nor particularly sophisticated. Boot-up and loading occur in a reasonable amount of time, and probably three times faster than the Panasonic that it replaced. I can't address DVD upscaling, since I use my Oppo DV983H for that, and it can't be beat.

The front panel of the BD390 is a very high gloss finish, which looks great if you keep it clean. To do that, using the remote exclusively, instead of the front panel buttons, is essential. If you allow kiddies to touch your gear, the BD390 would be a mess in seconds.

LG quit updating the firmware in the BD390 about two years after I bought it. So far this hasn't been a problem, but if blu-rays themselves remain viable, this may present potential problems for new releases.

And that disc that wouldn't play? Apocalypse Now on blu-ray. The BD390 wouldn't recognize it. But, because it is one of my favorite movies, I did an extensive Internet search for a solution, after buying a second copy because I thought the disc was defective. Turns out this disc requires BD-Live to be active in the player, even if you don't access that "feature."

All that being said, when it comes time to replace this player, I'll be getting an Oppo.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: