Viewing Review: OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player Top Notch for Its Time & for the Money - AVS Forum
OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player Top Notch for Its Time & for the Money Edit
by bond_fan Combined Rating: 4.1
At the time I had bought my Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player, Blu-rays had been out for about three years and the technology of the players themselves, or should I say the HDMI cable in version 1.3...
Pros Cons
  • Plays everything I put in it, easy to upgrade firmware, good picture and sound quality.
  • Not great for streaming video content, and it was a bit confusing how to quickly change from DTS-HD to Dolby's version of their HD sound.
At the time I had bought my Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player, Blu-rays had been out for about three years and the technology of the players themselves, or should I say the HDMI cable in version 1.3 finally had the capability to deliver the full HD sound that was supposed to come with these players from day one. I had purchased the first Sony Blu-ray player, but returned it for a full refund after discovering it could not duplicate the HD sound quality with the HDMI 1.1 cable.

Finally, when the HDMI group got their act together and came out with the 1.3 ver. I figured it was time to get a Blu-ray player, but which one? There were many choices at the time, but I was thinking, because I already had a top notch universal DVD player in the Esoteric DVD-60, that I must have an equally great Blu-ray player. However, the equivalent player was the Denon and the Marantz, but both of those were over $3,000.00 and I didn't want to spend that much even though I paid well over that for the Esoteric.

Then seemingly from nowhere comes the OPPO brand, made in the USA, with their corporate offices not very far from where I lived and their amazing BDP-83, which got many great reviews from the best audio/video magazines. I figured I couldn't go wrong and sprung for the OPPO BDP-83, and it was a wise choice!

The BDP-83 was thousands cheaper than the Denon & Marantz universals and even played HDCD encoded discs, while the former two which could play the HDCD didn't have the chip for its optimization. The BDP-83 had more features in that it offered streaming, SACD, DVD-Audio with both analog & digital outs and even had USB plug-ins for easy firmware upgrades. The picture quality in the Blu-ray mode is excellent, as is the HD audio sound of Blu-rays!

My only gripes are it doesn't stream video content that great, so I don't use it for that and besides I'm afraid it may get a virus. I'm also a bit confused about which audio output mode I should used when strictly using HDMI for both video and audio play of my Blu-rays, Auto, Bitstream or LPCM, for DTS-HD or Dolby.

I've owned this almost four years and it works really well and I've not had any problems with it. I may upgrade to their BDP-102 someday, because the video and audio DAC's are supposed to be even better, but the price of over $1,100.00 is the deterrent and my BDP-83 still running strong!
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: