Viewing Review: Disc Player, Media Player, DAC and pre-amp: This deck does it all with top quality and style - AVS Forum
Disc Player, Media Player, DAC and pre-amp: This deck does it all with top quality and style Edit
by Styln Combined Rating: 5.0
This is not just a Blu-ray player. If that is what you want, there are less costly options. It's not just a media player. If that is what you want, there are other products with fewer restrictions...
Pros Cons
  • It is a top quality digital control center. It plays every disc format, codec, file format, stream. Easily controlled from your phone or tablet.
  • Variable volume control level is set to 100% after FW upgrade which could lead to a damaged audio system.
This is not just a Blu-ray player. If that is what you want, there are less costly options. It's not just a media player. If that is what you want, there are other products with fewer restrictions on content playback. This is not just a DAC. Here too, you can find a good stand-alone DAC for less. It is not just a line stage with a high-quality volume control. No, if you are looking for any one of those things, there are other options you can pursue. But what you cannot find is all of those products, combined into a single high-quality package that can function as the back-bone of your entertainment system. While it lacks more advanced features like room correction, it does provide basic audio processing. Overall, both the video and audio are world class. This means audiophile sound and videophile pictures. Every review out there backs this statement.

As one of the first owners, I've had the deck for about 9 months and use it almost daily. It has simplified my system and lets me enjoy the music, either 2 channel or multichannel, without being overly complicated. Because it is a DLNA render, it can be controlled from a phone or tablet. This makes it easy to access an entire digital library from the palm of your hand. Wonderful! Digital is now easy to use and looks and sounds incredible.

Look, this is a diverse product: it does so much more than just play Blu-rays. And there just isn't enough time or space to describe everything it does. Do yourself a favor. If you want a quality deck++, that holds it's resale value, you simply must audition this deck. I've built my system around it, saved considerable money, and could not be happier with the results.

Styln

06/19/13: I'm updating this review by:

a) Removing the "con" that the deck does not come it silver. It now does, and I own one.
b) Raising the score from 4.5 to 5.0

And I am raising the score, not because of any feature or finish color, but because I neglected to include what a great company Oppo is to do business with. While changing from black to silver is more of a lateral than an upgrade, it's the kind of thing that happens again and again with this company. With the BDP-83, Oppo offered an enhanced DAC audio upgrade. Later, out of the blue, they added very respectable networking support. These upgrades, some at very reasonable additional cost, most for free in firmware upgrades, extended the useful life of that deck. When they released the BDP-95, it incorporated many high-end features users were recommending. With the BDP-105, owners are benefiting again with an ever growing list of codec and format support, and (finally) offering a silver option. This is a small but growing company that really listens to it's customers and treats them... well it treats them like valued customers!

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
gsr 11-08-2013, 06:14 PM

If the Oppo is being used as the preamp directly connected to a power amp, having the volume at 100% could potentially blow your speakers (and possibly even damage your hearing in the process) as that would be VERY LOUD. It would be the same as turning the volume all the way up on a receiver.

Player3 11-08-2013, 04:09 PM

How can the volume set to 100% potentially damage your audio system??

Styln 06-19-2013, 09:35 PM

Pics of the "new" BDP-105 and friends!

rwestley 06-17-2013, 07:32 PM

I would suggest that you revise your review and remove lack of silver from the con list. I think it now should deserve 5 stars.

Styln 06-17-2013, 06:33 PM

Yep, Oppo just last week started offering their kit in silver. Even better is they have a very reasonable "upgrade plan" for which I will be one of the first customers

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: