Viewing Review: overall good blu ray player - AVS Forum
overall good blu ray player Edit
by sdmf74 Combined Rating: 4.0
I purchased my Sony "flagship" blu ray player shortly after it came out in June or July of last year so I could watch movies on my new LED tv I also bought at that time. One of the reasons for...
Pros Cons
  • lots of outputs, decent remote, responsive menu, wifi, 4k upscaling, gracenote, SACD,excellent picture quality, deep black level
  • slow to load discs, no divx
I purchased my Sony "flagship" blu ray player shortly after it came out in June or July of last year so I could watch movies on my new LED tv I also bought at that time. One of the reasons for choosing
this model was because of the dual HDMI outputs and also because it was a higher end unit than most available where it was sold. I'm still rockin a Yamaha reciever without 3D passthrough so that feature stood out. It also features both coaxial and toslink audio outputs, a bonus if you own an older reciever with limited digital inputs. The unit feels solid and has a little weght to it unlike some of the cheaper models I have seen. The remote is Sony's standard slim remote
with basic functions but laid out well, and a programmable power button for your tv. Blu Ray discs look excellent on the BDP-S790 but I did notice a slight red push, big surprise right, I cant recall a sony dvd player or tv released in the last five years or so that didnt. Movies like Underworld Awakening look amazing with very sharp contrast and deep blacks. I have only watched one or two regular dvd's but it did a fairly good job of upconverting them.

The Sony BDP-S790 is packed with features like wi-fi,ethernet,Netflix,SEN,2 usb inputs,DLNA streaming,SACD,4k upscaling,youtube, and media remote for ios and android. Most of which I can actually say that I use on a regular basis. SACD sounded great on my Klipsch system with detailed highs and deep bass and good separation between channels. It is fairly quick navigating in the menu from one option to the next but as soon as you load the movie things slow down. Good time to get the popcorn. Aside from that and the fact that my first one stopped tracking discs after a couple of months (no problems getting a replacement) I have no complaints. Overall it is a good blu-ray/dvd (SACD) player and I would definately
recommend to anyone in the market for a mid-high end player.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: