Viewing Review: Great picture, better price, but absolutely no bells or whistles - AVS Forum
Great picture, better price, but absolutely no bells or whistles Edit
by Tnpicker Combined Rating: 3.0
This is a machine that plays Blu-Ray discs. That's it. OK, it also plays DVDs and CDs, and there's a USB port to play media off an external drive, but, basically, this is a machine for playing...
Pros Cons
  • The LG BP125 was only $38 at Walmart on Black Friday 2012; setup was easy; it boots quickly; the picture is sharp as a tack
  • There's no way to connect this device to the Internet, meaning no Netflix and no DLNA
This is a machine that plays Blu-Ray discs. That's it. OK, it also plays DVDs and CDs, and there's a USB port to play media off an external drive, but, basically, this is a machine for playing movies.

The LG BP125 was a snap to set up. I have it connected directly to the display. I had no problem setting the correct aspect ratio.

The user interface is clunky, but it's clear enough.

Despite the rock-bottom price, discs load and start playing quickly. The picture and sound are terrific, but quality depends a lot on the source. Newer titles, such as Tron: Legacy are gorgeous (the 2D version, at least; the BP125 can't handle 3D), but you're at the mercy of the transfer when it comes to older titles. The Criterion edition of Brazil was a bit grainy, for example, although Goldfinger was fine.

The BP125 upscales DVDs well. I have a 7-year-old, so the Pixar movies are in heavy rotation. Cars on DVD doesn't look as electric as it does on Blu-Ray, but it's still beautiful.

The BP125 isn't anyone's idea of a great machine, but I have other devices that stream Netflix, Hulu Plus and other services, and I had other machines that played DVDs. What I wanted at the time was a cheap Blu-Ray player. Considering the $38 price tag, it was a real bargain.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: