Viewing Review: Great picture, better price, but absolutely no bells or whistles - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Great picture, better price, but absolutely no bells or whistles Edit
by Tnpicker Combined Rating: 3.0
This is a machine that plays Blu-Ray discs. That's it. OK, it also plays DVDs and CDs, and there's a USB port to play media off an external drive, but, basically, this is a machine for playing...
Pros Cons
  • The LG BP125 was only $38 at Walmart on Black Friday 2012; setup was easy; it boots quickly; the picture is sharp as a tack
  • There's no way to connect this device to the Internet, meaning no Netflix and no DLNA
This is a machine that plays Blu-Ray discs. That's it. OK, it also plays DVDs and CDs, and there's a USB port to play media off an external drive, but, basically, this is a machine for playing movies.

The LG BP125 was a snap to set up. I have it connected directly to the display. I had no problem setting the correct aspect ratio.

The user interface is clunky, but it's clear enough.

Despite the rock-bottom price, discs load and start playing quickly. The picture and sound are terrific, but quality depends a lot on the source. Newer titles, such as Tron: Legacy are gorgeous (the 2D version, at least; the BP125 can't handle 3D), but you're at the mercy of the transfer when it comes to older titles. The Criterion edition of Brazil was a bit grainy, for example, although Goldfinger was fine.

The BP125 upscales DVDs well. I have a 7-year-old, so the Pixar movies are in heavy rotation. Cars on DVD doesn't look as electric as it does on Blu-Ray, but it's still beautiful.

The BP125 isn't anyone's idea of a great machine, but I have other devices that stream Netflix, Hulu Plus and other services, and I had other machines that played DVDs. What I wanted at the time was a cheap Blu-Ray player. Considering the $38 price tag, it was a real bargain.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: