Viewing Review: Excellent picture and audio, but does have a problem with some discs. - AVS Forum
Excellent picture and audio, but does have a problem with some discs. Edit
by JCP1740 Combined Rating: 4.0
I really can't tell anything on the upgrade to 4K quality as I use this Sony BR player mainly on my Sony G70 projector with a Moome HDMI card adaptor and it won't do 4K, but it does 1080P. I have a...
Pros Cons
  • Picture and sound are excellent, apps are plentyful, easy to set up, quick set up on Net. Nice touch sensors on unit. Remote works fine.
  • Occasionally a disk will lock up, studder, or not even play. This is very seldom, but it does happen.
I really can't tell anything on the upgrade to 4K quality as I use this Sony BR player mainly on my Sony G70 projector with a Moome HDMI card adaptor and it won't do 4K, but it does 1080P. I have a 10' screen. The picture quality in Blue Ray mode is excellent. I also watch regular DVDs and they look great too with the processing this S790 does. Once in a while I get a Netflix disk that stutters or locks up, and sometimes if I wipe it, it will play, but sometimes it just won't. I can put this same disk in my Panasonic BDT310 and it will play fine. I also use it for streaming movies from Netflix and it has excellent high quality pictures with no problems and loads reasonably fast with my 3MPS DSL speed. Touch pad sensors on the unit work nicely and are placed facing upward along top front of unit, and are way better than the tiny buttons they had on the older S590 BR player. The only problem is if you stack it with another piece of equipment on top of it, you have to slide the top unit back about an inch so you can have access to touch the sensors. The remote is easy to use but has no light up buttons. It has a nice red Netflix button for quick access to Netflix on the bottom row, and has an open /close button for the DVD on top row. I bought this as I mainly need 2 HDMI outs, and found that when you use 1 for the G70 projector (main screen), then the other can only be used for sending to a AV receiver (or for the sound output). It won't allow you to send audio and video to 2 TVs or projectors at the same time. The Sony's HDMI audio input to my Pioneer AVR is excellent so with my 7:1 channels, I can shake the walls if I desire to. The Sony S790 has excellent processing for all the current audio modes put on DVDs. Overall, except for the occasional disk problem, I rate this unit very high, but I haven't tried the newer Panasonic BDT330 yet, and I may within the next few months.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
JCP1740 06-04-2013, 05:31 AM

I forgot to mention the 3D output. It has this of course, and I output it to my 47" 3D LCD screen TV. I have tried it, and have 3D on my Panasonic 310 also. I notice no difference in 3D picture quality between the 2 DVD players, but will have to admit that the Sony S790 is easier to set up the 3D with, especially in the Auto mode on.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: