Viewing Review: LG BD570 Network Blu-Ray Disc Player with Premium Apps and WiFi streaming - AVS Forum
LG BD570 Network Blu-Ray Disc Player with Premium Apps and WiFi streaming Edit
by johnniedoo Combined Rating: 4.3
I bought this as soon as it was released, somewhere around July 2010 or fall for about $225. At the time, it was about as good a BluRay player available. My only problem was that it only had the...
Pros Cons
  • Easy to set up and use, Great HD video 60/24, upscales to 1080p, audio passthrough, HDMI, USB ports can connect ext HDD, wireless n built in, Apps
  • only 2ch audio analogue,(does have opt/co ax digital) Netflix app is not the best, front flap cant close with usb usage,
I bought this as soon as it was released, somewhere around July 2010 or fall for about $225. At the time, it was about as good a BluRay player available. My only problem was that it only had the 2ch analogue outs on the back. I knew about this, since it was a network device and had the 'Passthrough' ability, I figured it would suffice for 99% of my usage, and it has. I had been able to pass through any True HD and DTS MasterAudiio 5.1 and 7.1 discs. I have an Onkyo tx sr608 avr, by the way.
I have used this and gotten all software and firmware updates available. had to use the usb port for one or 2 firmware updates. all went off without any issues at all. The thing just keeps on going. Plays any and all kinds of BD and normal DVDs, will balk on some dvds with too many scratches though. I use my computer for most dvd playing anyway. I have to replace the super multi drives i use for making copies of the dvds i buy and making iso images for better/safer back up, to me better and safer, that is. The CIFS server or DLNA sharing has its ups and downs. It can not do any of my 500 or so iso back ups on my bought and paid for dvd collection. I do use the mkv from blu ray converters that are available as freeware. i even paid for a good one purpose bd to mkv converter. and this 570 gets them well enough from the server. I have a LG42LD550 network/wireless tv as well. they do work well together but not much better than the Samsung i have in the bedroom...all are on a wired ethernet LAN I prefer over the wireless. I do have a wireless N 2.4/5G simultaneous dual band router which can sometimes stream some movies faster than the gigabit router/switch/gateway .
I do not know about all the technical dynamics of how these things work , only know how to set them up and this works just fine. no sluggishness, other than what the other reviewer noted about the Netflix streaming hd catching up to itself sometimes. The interface is ok, not as good as the one on the TV or not even as good as the one inside of WinMedia center.
I used the included streaming Nero Home 4 whatever. it was only ok, so , i tried a couple of other home network server things. they work ok. The Nero needs to be started up and running all the time or it will crash at one point or another and require a reinstall. I do not need to run it all the time, so i kept getting trouble with that part, has nothing at all to do with LG or the 570, no deductions. since this is no longer available to buy , new, it is moot anywho
I have thoroughly enjoyed this blu ray player. I loved the premium additions. the ones i used were:: NETFLIX, YOUTUBE AND PANDORA. YOUTUBE ALSO HAD A SEARCH ISSUE AS MENTIONED BY OTHERS.
MY only real issue was the design of the front flap and usb port behind it. wont close all the way and the remote effectiveness was compromised a bit.
For some time, the only real use I had for this 570 was to stream Netflix. the quality of the overall movie was better than the other 2 ways i had been using (WMC ,Silverlight/Firefox, and through the similar Netcast in the LG LCD tv 550.
I cant complain about this BD570 in any way, it has lasted me for 3yrs, not a bit of trouble and did all it was supposed to do, did it well and consistently over a long period of time and was stable. It was updated as needed along the way. could have only been better had it been perfect from day one and not needed any update maintenance. Of course, there are always benefits of doing the software and firmware updates and tweaks.
I am not sure I would consider buying a used 3+ yr old blu ray player, but this would have been highly recommended as a new purchase, without reservation.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: