Viewing Review: Great player 4 years ago, and still working well now - AVS Forum
Great player 4 years ago, and still working well now Edit
by markhyams Combined Rating: 4.0
I bought this player four years ago, and it is still my first and only blu-ray player. I have been watching movies frequently on it for the whole time, and have had no issues or mechanical...
Pros Cons
  • Cheap on used market, Analog 7.1 out, decodes all formats, great picture quality
  • A bit slow to navigate new Blu-rays and startup, a little noisy
I bought this player four years ago, and it is still my first and only blu-ray player. I have been watching movies frequently on it for the whole time, and have had no issues or mechanical malfunctions. Sony has been kind enough to update the firmware regularly, so it is always compatible with even the newest discs, although with the most feature-rich discs, navigation can be painfully slow. Playback is not a problem, however.

When I first got it, I hooked it up via the analog multichannel output, and that worked well, but then I upgraded to an HDMI receiver and that made it even better. I have an older HDMI receiver (Marantz SR7001) which doesn't decode HD audio, but does take Multichannel PCM, so the Sony decodes it and sends the audio over as MPCM and it performs flawlessly.

I have not tried the media and streaming capabilities, but I suspect they are quite rudimentary.

Video quality is great, and DVD upscaling is great, although I have never seen the cream of the crop Oppo players, so I don't know what I'm missing. I think you can buy these on eBay for around $40-50, so at that price, you should be pretty happy, I imagine.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: