Viewing Review: Great All Around Multimedia Box for A Home Theater - AVS Forum
Great All Around Multimedia Box for A Home Theater Edit
by cdann08 Combined Rating: 4.0
Aside from being a gaming console, the Playstation 3 is quite a versatile home theater box. I've got an Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Roku LT, and while all are great, none of them quite do...
Pros Cons
  • 3D capable, HD audio, streaming services, built-in WiFi
  • No HBO Go, painful system updates, battery draining remote
Aside from being a gaming console, the Playstation 3 is quite a versatile home theater box. I've got an Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Roku LT, and while all are great, none of them quite do everything. The Xbox and PS3 are both great gaming consoles in their own rights, but the Xbox doesn't pack a Blu-ray player, and the PS3 leaves just a little to be desired from streaming options compared to the Xbox. I've either console in separate rooms of my house, and the reason I have the third multimedia box, the Roku LT, is because the PS3 lacks one significant streaming option (for me, at least), which is HBO Go. I'm sure it'll come to the Playstation at some point, and if not to the 3, at least to the 4, but it's been on Xbox for quite some time now. I have the PS3 Bluetooth remote, because I prefer using a remote for Blu-ray, DVD, and streaming playback compared to the controller. However, I find that the remote drains batteries relatively quickly when compared to other remotes, including the Xbox remote. I'm not sure if this is because it works on Bluetooth, but regardless, it's a hassle. My last gripe is that system updates can be awfully long and painful, and you basically have to update each time there's a new software release before you can do anything with the console. The UI is very minimal, which isn't at all a bad thing, but it could probably be beefed up. Sometimes navigating to the settings you're wanting can be a bit cumbersome.

Now that I've got my cons out of the way, the PS3 is an awesome Blu-ray player thanks to its versatility. Aside from the lack of HBO Go, it offers a ton of streaming options. The 3D capability, while I don't think is a necessity, is definitely a perk. I have a 3D TV, but own no 3D Blu-rays, but I'm happy to have the functionality just in case. The HD audio that the PS3 offers is also great for a fully immersive movie experience. As for performance, I can't complain there either. I feel like Blu-rays load in a very reasonable amount of time. Setup is incredibly easy so long as you can plug in cables and connect to a Wifi network (if not plugging in a separate cable). I've got mine connect to my TV through a home theater receiver, and setting up the audio properly to make you're tapping into the HD audio was a big frustrating, but nothing a quick Google search can't assist with.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: