Viewing Review: Super Blu ray player - AVS Forum
Super Blu ray player Edit
by Geoff4RFC Combined Rating: 5.0
This review won't be as technical as some or most as I am still learning and have only been involved with Home Theater for less than four years, so please bare with me.

This is my third blu ray...
Pros Cons
  • Just this side of being an AVR
  • No speaker calibration mic
This review won't be as technical as some or most as I am still learning and have only been involved with Home Theater for less than four years, so please bare with me.

This is my third blu ray player, the firsts being an LGBD370 and then an LGBD390. I've been spoiled on the 390 as it's video quality and load times are rated among the best, so why should I shell out for the new OPPO 103?

The Oppo 103 has a ton of features, streaming capabilities, 3D, converting 2D material to 3D, converting compressed material to uncompressed, lots of picture quality adjustments (being able to tweak pq through a BD player is pretty awesome), dual HDMI outs (one for audio, one for video incase you have a legacy AVR and a 3D display), dual core processor, just to name a few.

The load times are a hair faster than my 390 and being able to fine tune picture quality, the video is unmatched. But the feature that has impressed me the most, is the 7.1 analogue pre-outs in the rear, internal speaker set up and the two HDMI in ports (HDMI in? On a blu ray player?)

My H.T. set up is pretty modest, but one I've been building now for just over three years, a 7.2 configuration consisting of PolkAudio RTiA series speakers with a pair of Epik Empires (bass baby bass), a legacy AVR and two external amplifiers. Play time utilizes an Xbox 360.

With my AVR being three years old (one year out of warranty) and a history of bad HDMI failures, mine joins the ranks. The good news here fortunately, I qualified for a one time out of warranty repair. The bad news, I'm without an AVR for a couple of weeks at best, so, now if I want to watch a movie, it's HDMI from blu ray player to TV with a pair of 10 watt speakers.....ugggggg.

The Oppo manual is about as thick as two magazines, I had been thumbing through it to learn about my new blu ray player and seeing all the wonderful things it could do, and then it hit me....."I think I can run my speakers through my BD player".

Sure enough, the 7.1 pre-outs on the rear of the 103 allowed me to connect it to my amps, once all is a go, the menu allows you to set speakers up for; stereo, 5.1 or 7.1. It allows you to set the speakers to large or small, then distance, then set the trim. The remote has volume control, how cool is that?

With the HDMI in, one port in front, one in the rear, I used the one in the rear to accommodate my Xbox 360, the remote lets you access which HDMI port you want to use so you can go straight from a movie to playing your favorite games on your player.

My receiver is back in place and now once again the heart of my system, but knowing the Oppo 103 is capable of pulling AVR duties, well, that in my opinion is worth the price of admission alone.

Highly recommended.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: