Viewing Review: One of the best A/V purchases I've made - AVS Forum
One of the best A/V purchases I've made Edit
by Closet Geek Combined Rating: 4.7
At a time when quality of life was drastically diminished due to economic strife, I considered the PS3 160GB as an alternative means to provide family entertainment. For $300, it was a vehicle...
Pros Cons
  • Excellent high def rendering of blu ray content, biggest bang for the buck long after purchase, multi purpose unit with gaming and music, wifi
  • Remote control needs to be purchased separately, slow to load blu ray's, requires updates frequently
At a time when quality of life was drastically diminished due to economic strife, I considered the PS3 160GB as an alternative means to provide family entertainment. For $300, it was a vehicle that enhanced our home theater experience via high def video play, high end gaming experience as well as the ability to play music and provide a quick though somewhat clunky internet access. There was also the aspect of streaming video that I figured built in a little future proofing should I decide to go that route. Upon purchase and install, the unit has been all that was expected and then some. It's sleek black design made for a nice compliment to my existing home theater gear and HDMI was fully compatible with my Denon head unity making for simple connection. Video and sound quality are clearly superior but it is important to have a clear understanding of the most appropriate setting based on pass thru capabilities of receiver. It does take a long time for Blu Ray's to load but this particular point I don't find to be a bother as I can load disc then go pop my popcorn. I kinda like coming back and having trailers automatically started or the main title menu playing anyway. I've never had a glitch of any kind with this player but I've never conducted any firmware updates either. The only updates that occur are those require with certain Blu Ray's, which THIS is a bit annoying as it seems to occur more frequently as time goes on.

Overall, the kids can operate it so functionality is good, plays movies in my opinion flawlessly, and games are fully enjoyed by the kids (mainly). I have used it for music playback both in disc and streaming form but I prefer to run my music from my home network through my receiver. With the PS4 coming out, I'm not sure I'm finding a need to upgrade because I'm that happy with the PS3. This unit gets used multiple times a week in all aspects. There is no question, in terms of overall value, this is one of the best purchases I've ever made. biggrin.gif
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: