Viewing Review: Oppo... You won't watch without it! - AVS Forum
Oppo... You won't watch without it! Edit
by bartsimpson1971 Combined Rating: 5.0
In December, I took the long awaiting step of upgrading the picture in my modest home theater. I run a Marantz SR4002 with Definitive Technology Pro-sat 1000 5.1 surround sound speaker system. ...
Pros Cons
  • Extraordinary picture, upconversion, intense sound on both movies and music, 3d capable, dual HDMI outputs and inputs, built in wifi with inc. adapter
  • None
In December, I took the long awaiting step of upgrading the picture in my modest home theater. I run a Marantz SR4002 with Definitive Technology Pro-sat 1000 5.1 surround sound speaker system. First step was to upgrade the picture, for which I chose the Samsung UN60ES7100. Great picture, check!

Next was the Blu Ray player. Since the 4002 is not 3D capable, a necessary criteria was a player with dual HDMI outputs. There are very few to choose from and after reading the review in Home Theater magazine, I decided to purchase the Oppo, despite the fact that it was above my budget. Boy, am I glad I did!

From the moment, I hooked it up I was astonished by the clarity of the picture. Blu Rays absolutely jump off the screen. DVDs are upconverted and look as good as they can. I also leveraged the HDMI inputs to run my Directv receiver into it and low and behold, the Oppo improved the DTV picture as well. I now run my Xbox and all video through the Oppo to take advantage of the upconversion.

Sound quality is also extraordinary. I have recently been 'rediscovering' my CD collection through critical listening on the Oppo because the sound is THAT GOOD. Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' was enveloping and the Oppo truly showcased the soundfield in the recording. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 'Live Anthology' Blu Ray was an incredible aural experience.

The Oppo has built-in streaming support with apps for Netflix, Vudu and more. Netflix streams beautifully and looks fantastic.

Lastly, the Oppo has lightning fast load times. I have long read about painfully slow load times for Blu Ray players and was concerned about it. I have yet to play a Blu Ray that took much longer to load than DVDs did on my old Panasonic DMR-ES20 player. Don't be afraid!

I am a huge fan of the Oppo and will recommend it highly to anyone without reservation. For the money, there is no better value, in my opinion.

smile.gif
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: