Viewing Review: Great, but beginning to show issues - AVS Forum
Great, but beginning to show issues Edit
by nabokovfan87 Combined Rating: 4.4
This player supports anything and everything that you could ever want from a blu-ray player from 3d, 4k, streaming, advanced image processing and filtering, and built-in wireless. More importantly...
Pros Cons
  • Well built, fully fleshed out player with a lot of features presented well in all aspects
  • Some newer discs do not work and/or do not start correctly when connected to internet. No sleep mode.
This player supports anything and everything that you could ever want from a blu-ray player from 3d, 4k, streaming, advanced image processing and filtering, and built-in wireless. More importantly it stands up to the test of time, has been updated over the past few years with new features added and is designed in such a way that things simply work the way you want them to.

Most settings can be accessed while playing a disk making tuning and calibration a snap. Setup is quick and painless, even for WiFi. The menu is simple, straightforward, and presents a lot of information clearly and easily. The remote hasn't faded, shows little to no signs or wear, and is probably one of the easiest to use remotes despite having a lot of buttons on it. Setup is simple given the limited output options, but HDMI does make everything easy anyways.

The only real downside after all of these years is that some discs simply do not work. It is a Panasonic as well as specific studio blu-ray issues and shows up on a Google search with some solutions in the instance that it happens. Some discs that load ads from the internet simply won't until you unplug the internet or turn off wireless. A minor issue, but I wish the Netflix app was updated to reflect what is available on android and elsewhere. It is an old layout that makes viewing and editing things an issue. It is slow in some cases, but works well and is easy to get into given the dedicated netflix button.

The UI is a simple cross interface that uses the up, down, left, and right keys. Playback is crisp and clean. However, there isn't enough filtering when upscaling very poor quality discs. It is likely specific to my TV as it has a lot of noise and is not the greatest display, but the filtering options in the player help, but do not solve the issue. It is specifically a noise when looking at dark images and there is a Gaussian noise or grainy type of distortion on those areas.

Lastly, the only thing this blu-ray player is missing is a sleep function. I purchased and exterior power outlet timer to add it, but if I could change any one thing about the player, that would be it.

Overall, based on this player, I would recommend anything from Panasonic.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: