Viewing Review: Denon - What Happened to You? - AVS Forum
Denon - What Happened to You? Edit
by Alfonzo Roman Combined Rating: 2.0
Bought a 2312ci and soon thereafter had flickering/power down issues.

Denon said it was an "HDMI handshake" issue and instructed me to reset the unit and reprogram. Denon said to be very gentle...
Pros Cons
  • Sounds incredible when its working and has been calibrated
  • The build quality is remarkably poor; worse, customer service is trained to sell design defects as personal problems until the warranty runs out
Bought a 2312ci and soon thereafter had flickering/power down issues.

Denon said it was an "HDMI handshake" issue and instructed me to reset the unit and reprogram. Denon said to be very gentle with it, and turn on HDMI connected electronics first before turning on the receiver.

That did help for a short while, then the 2312 degraded until it just began turning on and off intermittently every 30 secs or so, regardless of whether anything is connected to the HDMI or not. Then I realized this issue is not only common when buying your first 2312 or 3312ci, but also replacement 'refurb' units that Denon sends to you... a process that will leave you without a receiver for lengthy period until your warranty expires and you correct the problem by buying a non Denon device.

Apparently Denon would rather sell you a known, failed unit than retire it. Perhaps because the 2012s were a particularly bad year for Denon and their only other option would be to admit the deplorable quality and send everybody a refund or provide a cheap/free upgrade.

Just be careful. A few of the best receiver manufacturers from the mid 2000s began cutting corners and putting out horrible quality once the global recession was in full swing. Denon and Onkyo are great examples of someone hijacking a strong brand and milking it for profit. In the end, that guy made his bonus for a few years, and everybody else loses, especially Denon, because I along with others who know better will never buy one of their products again.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: