Viewing Review: Great picture and amazing value - AVS Forum
Great picture and amazing value Edit
by CopaceticOpus Combined Rating: 4.6
I've had this TV for one month now and I've been very happy with it. I was looking for a TV that would meet several requirements but stay at a pretty low price point. I think this TV is an amazing...
Pros Cons
  • Bright crisp display, very good black levels and lighting, incredible value
  • Included remote isn't great.
I've had this TV for one month now and I've been very happy with it. I was looking for a TV that would meet several requirements but stay at a pretty low price point. I think this TV is an amazing value.

My primary requirements were: (1) Bright screen to be usable in a room with windows. That means Plasma was out. (2) 50" display (3) At least 3 HDMI inputs (4) At least 120Hz refresh to reduce motion blur. (5) Great quality display with no significant faults.

In addition I wanted a company that had a good reputation, and a model that was getting good reviews. This TV stood out easily from the pack. Only the Samsung models looked a little better in the sub-$1200 price range, but they still cost $200-300 more to get a TV with matching features.

(It certainly helped that the Amazon price on the LG was just $750 at the time. I was surprised to check back on it today and see that it's up to $850!)

My primary concern with LCD TVs in general was poor black levels and weird lighting effects. I'm no videophile but I can only say that I haven't had any cause for complaint. The blacks look really deep and dark to me and the lighting appears very good. Colors look great too. The other reviews I've read confirm this TV really excels in this area, especially at this price point.

Setup was easy and the TV has an interactive wizard for calibrating the display.

I'm having trouble coming up with cons, to be honest. I don't like the remote very much. It has a directional pad which isn't very well designed. There is a better remote which LG sells separately. However, I mostly use the remote for on/off, volume, and input switching, so it doesn't matter much to me.

One thing I can't comment on is the smart TV stuff. I have a Roku 3 so I've been using that for everything. The TV actually has many of the same abilities as the Roku provides, but I haven't tried it out yet.

(UPDATE: This TV has wifi! For some reason I thought it did not. If I try out the network and smart features I will update my review.)
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
CopaceticOpus 08-02-2013, 02:29 PM

I understand where you're coming from. I was really tempted by plasma and I know the consensus is that it offers the best picture and value. However, I'm pretty sure I'd be frustrated when I can't control the exterior light and the picture is just too dim. If I had a basement or even a room with fewer windows, I would have gotten plasma for sure.

The other thing I will say is that LED LCD technology has made a lot of progress in the past few years. Plasma is still superior but the gap is closing. I wish I could see our TVs side by side to compare, but the black levels on my set look very dark to me. It's a world of difference from my previous television.

I hope that next time I need to buy a TV, OLED will have arrived and will offer all the strengths of both plasma and LCD.

boguspomp 08-02-2013, 12:27 PM

Sorry to say, but Plasma is still the format to beat. We got a new 60' LG Plasma 2 weeks ago and after the usual 100 hours burn in the picture is breathtaking. Watching TV we agreed upon that only CNN delivers a flawless picture in HD. The people seem to come out of the screen.
Before we had a Sony LCD (6 years old) and the black levels are soooo different that there are no words to describe it. The blackest black on the Sony was still a medium dark blue, never ever a real black. Now, the bars on top and bottom match the frame! That's what I am talking about.

Just my 2 cents, Cheers

CopaceticOpus 07-29-2013, 12:57 PM

MSRP = $1299

I corrected my review to state that the TV does include wifi. (I can't believe I had that wrong!)

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: