Viewing Review: Affordable Smart TV from Samsung - AVS Forum
Affordable Smart TV from Samsung Edit
by HelmutNewton Combined Rating: 4.1
The UN40F5500 is an affordable entry in Samsung's 2013 line of Smart TVs. It features a new menu interface which is smooth and easy to navigate. Setup was easy to follow and didn't take too much...
Pros Cons
  • Excellent picture, fun Smart TV features, good connectivity options, great value
  • Average sound, slight vignetting in corners
The UN40F5500 is an affordable entry in Samsung's 2013 line of Smart TVs. It features a new menu interface which is smooth and easy to navigate. Setup was easy to follow and didn't take too much time to connect to my home Wi-Fi network. The 40-inch Samsung includes apps for Netflix, Amazon Instant, HULU and many others. Additional apps can be downloaded from the Samsung App store. All of these apps worked quite well on my model, although Amazon Instant did freeze a few times, necessitating a return to the home Amazon app screen to restart where the movie froze.

There are also options for e-mail, web surfing and streaming content from your PC. These worked quite well, although IMHO Samsung should implement a screen saver or visualizer for listening to streaming music for extended periods to prevent screen burn-in.

The remote control is a basic slim backlit unit, with a color button for the Smart TV features which really stands out. It can also control a cable box or Blu-ray player when using the included IR repeater.

The picture quality is quite impressive after calibration, with accurate colors, a stable black level and excellent sharpness. I've been watching a variety of Blu-rays, streaming movies and cable programs. 1080p Blu-rays produce the best quality, but 1080i cable content and streaming aren't too far behind. The only weakness in the picture was a slight vignetting in the corners, which is not really noticeable in normal viewing. It also has a menu item to go from 60Hz to 120Hz, although I didn't notice much of a difference between them. The sound quality is adequate for casual viewing, but you will definitely want to hook the audio up to some sort of separate stereo/soundbar/home theater for watching Blu-rays, streaming movies, or your favorite TV shows.

The set features 3 HDMI inputs, 1 component input, 1 antenna input, 2 USB inputs and 1 LAN input. It also has 1 mini audio output and 1 Toslink output. It also includes an IR repeater for controlling a cable box or Blu-ray player from a different manufacturer.

The design (like the rest of the 2013 Samsung Smart line) is quite attractive, with a slim bezel, and a striking 4-leg stand. Overall, this is a very attractive option for a modestly-sized Smart TV for small/average living rooms or bedrooms.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: