Viewing Review: Great value for the price - AVS Forum
Great value for the price Edit
by njera Combined Rating: 3.9
Overall, this is a great TV for the price. It's not perfect and not the TV I would use for primary movie watching, but it serves well as a full-featured secondary/bedroom TV.

Features:
The LA6200...
Pros Cons
  • Passive 3D (cheap glasses), bright picture, attractive styling, normal remote control
  • Glossy screen, dirty-screen effect (DSE)
Overall, this is a great TV for the price. It's not perfect and not the TV I would use for primary movie watching, but it serves well as a full-featured secondary/bedroom TV.

Features:
The LA6200 is a 120Hz passive 3D 1080p LED-LCD Smart TV with LG's "direct LED" backlight. I am not a big fan of motion smoothing, so the 120Hz does not do much for me. Passive 3D is great because the glasses are inexpensive, and you can even use the free glasses from a movie theater. OTOH, passive 3D does drop the vertical resolution and introduces interlace effects, but I don't watch enough 3D for these issues to be a major concern. The TV comes with LG's standard remote, not the Wii-like "Magic remote," which is ok by me. The magic remote would make web navigation easier, but that is another thing that I don't do often enough for the remote to be a problem.

Setup:
Honestly, I don't remember much about the setup, and that's a good thing. It was a painless process, and because the TV is passive 3D there was no need to install batteries in the glasses or sync them to the TV. Ports on the TV are both on the side (HDMI) and back (analog), which is an improvement over my last LG because the old TV needed adapter dongles (for component video) to convert from the miniplug on the TV to the RCA jacks. The LA6200's RCA component jacks are on the back with no adapter needed.

User Interface:
For me, the user interface is easy enough to navigate. The on-screen menu has large icons and is easily understood. I like that LG includes a standard remote control with this TV. Last year's model came only with the magic remote, which is great for apps but terrible for operating the rest of the TV. Of course, best would be if LG included both remotes, but I can understand the omission for cost savings.

Performance:
As mentioned above, I see this TV as a secondary/bedroom TV, so my performance expectations are not what they would be for a primary TV. Like any LED TV, the LA6200 gets plenty bright and does so without using much electricity. The screen is glossy, so care needs to be taken with room placement - you don't want a window opposite the TV. One of the downsides of this TV is DSE or dirty-screen effect. There's plenty of discussion about DSE in the forums, so I won't go into much detail here, but again, since this is a secondary TV, it doesn't bother me much. Otherwise, the picture looks very good with natural colors. As with any LED, black levels are not great, but that's what my plasma is for. wink.gif

Overall, the LA6200 is a very good midrange LED TV. No regrets yet.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: