Viewing Review: Excellent picture quality, at a price - AVS Forum
Excellent picture quality, at a price Edit
by repete66211 Combined Rating: 4.3
I write this review from the perspective of someone who wants the best picture quality (PQ) possible. Call me an old man, but I have no desire to have my TV perform functions better suited for...
Pros Cons
  • Excellent picture quality, dark blacks, vibrant color, smart TV apps, 3D, attractive styling
  • Price is a bit steep, fans can be distractingly loud in some settings
I write this review from the perspective of someone who wants the best picture quality (PQ) possible. Call me an old man, but I have no desire to have my TV perform functions better suited for other devices (i.e., desktop, iPad, Blu-ray player, PS3, etc.) In my opinion, TV manufacturers (and others) should concentrate on PQ and leave the bells and whistles to other devices.

The Panasonic ZT60 is a fantastic television. "None more black" performance on the dark end, great contrast, and near perfect color accuracy & saturation, the picture quality is among the best ever. That's what the pros say anyway. Personally, I've seen nothing better and even months later I am still occasionally rendered giddy with how great this TV looks. PQ is the sole reason I bought this TV and even at the significant price I have yet to experience any buyer's remorse.

Unlike many TVs available, the ZT has preset picture modes that actually look good. The THX Cinema and THX Bright Room are great right out of the box, meaning you won't feel the need to tweak too much or outsource calibration to a professional.

The ZT60 has the usual suite of smart TV apps, but given that most players have streaming options on the front end of an audio system, having them also on the TV is a bit redundant for my purposes. And given how little content is viewed in 3D, I don't feel this feature warrants special treatment either. Suffice to say you can access the internet, YouTube, etc., and the 3D content is rendered nicely. It comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses and an extra touch pad remote (which is in a drawer somewhere). The ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature has been buggy with handshake issues, so I've given up on trying to make it work.

These sound like complaints, but they're not. I bought this TV to serve as a monitor, not an entertainment center. In my opinion this is the best TV available.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
Mad Norseman 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Same here, when buying a nice large HDTV like this, who's going to use the crappy speakers built into it? Monitor only for me too.
Now if Panasonic will just get around to announcing a nice ZT series 75" 4K plasma!

sharok 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM

I agree with you 100%. I also buy a TV to use it as a monitor only. I'd like to pay for "Picture Quality" only, but unfortunately I'm forced to pay for the rest of those useless stuff that comes with the TV also.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: