Viewing Review: An OK Plasma for a Rock Bottom Price - AVS Forum
An OK Plasma for a Rock Bottom Price Edit
by bdsimmons2 Combined Rating: 2.6
Overall:
This TV is a great value for such a low price... and remember I only paid four ninety-nine for a 50" plasma, which is something that was unheard of until ~2012.

Design:
This TV has about...
Pros Cons
  • Visual Menus, Small Bezel, Glossy Anti-Glare Screen, USB Playback
  • Not Enough HDMI, 720p, Poor blacks, and striated color performance
Overall:
This TV is a great value for such a low price... and remember I only paid four ninety-nine for a 50" plasma, which is something that was unheard of until ~2012.

Design:
This TV has about the smallest bezel I've ever seen in the price range. I understand this bezel size has become common on many TVs but it seems like the budget range usually gets stiffed with large bezels and silver plastic. It makes it look very sleek on the wall. I would say the piano finish is too glossy on the plastic if there was more of it there to reflect, but there just isn't. The screen finish is glossy but has some kind of anti glare coating so that it kills some of the potential reflections in a room with ambient light. The included stand is heavy duty and well made, not experiencing a large amount of flex/deformation when I slide this heavy TV around on a stand.

Features:
This TV does not have any smart capabilities, however it does have an easily accessible USB port that it will play back music, photos, and video from. I did stymie it fairly quickly with a few different formats, but the ones it did recognize it did a fine job playing. Large visual menus are nice, and clear, easy to read from across the room.

Picture:
Color accuracy is ok, it required a lot of tinkering and changes in ambient light seem to effect it greatly. Blacks are another story. Even after making all of the necessary adjustments, black performance continues to be poor. Making the display look washed out and overly bright, especially in movies that feature lots of night scenes. it's akin to watching my LCD with the brightness turned way up all the time. There are also lots of color bands/striation between colors; it's probably most heinous/noticeable when I start up my AppleTV. The gray that graduate towards the apple logo looks like distinct different bands of gray, rather than one color altered field. The resolution was just OK, but then again I knew that it was 720p when I purchased.

Connectivity:
This TV only has 2 HDMI inputs, and 2 component inputs. This limited the number of things I could plug into it severely in the setting I was using it in (no receiver in this room) The Standard PC connection is a nice one that seems to be going the way of the dodo, and it does get some use.

Remote:
The remote is a middle of the road attempt with a large directional pad that is intuitive, and it feels comfortable in your hand. Some of the other buttons get a bit confusing, and no backlight means you're not doing anything but changing channels or volume in the dark.

Value:
I think the value is high for this one. It's a compromise between a smaller nicer tv, or a 50"... because who doesn't want larger if you can get it? If you're not a videophile and you look at TVs and think to yourself "sure... alright... black performance, whatever" then you're the target demographic, and welcome to a great deal.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: