Viewing Review: Pioneer set the bar High. Pioneer and everything else. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Pioneer set the bar High. Pioneer and everything else. Edit
by LuncHwagon Combined Rating: 4.0
I cant tell you the horrible feeling I had in my gut when Pioneer announced they would no longer be making TVs. At the time, Pioneer was getting rave reviews. Even those folks choosing other...
Pros Cons
  • great blacks and color
  • it gets warm. the market is FINALLY catching up. High Price?
I cant tell you the horrible feeling I had in my gut when Pioneer announced they would no longer be making TVs. At the time, Pioneer was getting rave reviews. Even those folks choosing other TVs, were deciding on price alone. For YEARS, Pioneer TVs were setting the bar high. There was Pioneer and then there was everything else.

FIT AND FINISH
Taking a look at the fit and finish, this TV is loaded with features in a gorgeous container. The piano black bezel gives a high end look. Over the years, the modern design of less bezel, has started to give these older beauties a more dated look. At about 4" thick, it again doesnt match up to the much younger displays now on the market.

It flaunts 3 HDMI inputs, a gaggle of legacy analog inputs and speaker outputs for the detachable speaker bar. One of the HDMI ports is on the side, which is nice for quick or temporary setups.

The remote was very useful. My only real complaint is that its difficult to you in low light. It has so many buttons that you really need to be looking at it for anything more complicated than the direct input selection or volume controls that are intuitively placed.

PICTURE QUALITY
I dont use alot of fancy tools to judge and/or tweak PQ. I use my eyes. I've watched many different TVs, and I would still put this TV up against just about all of the TVs that I've seen. The black is quite simply "just black". After years of viewing TV/movies on this, it makes the gray of other TVs very noticeable. This 1080p display makes the source material look as good as anything that I have seen. When we watch a movie or show in lowish light, we can still get "wows" from our guests. Side by side comparisons will be difficult now with none being sold in stores. But if you havent ever seen what a Pioneer TV can do, find one, and see where the bar was set, and what displays now are aspiring to surpass.

VALUE

As time goes by, its safe to assume that more and more Tvs will pass this by in terms of quality, performance and value. In an 18 month period, I bought this and its 60" high society brother, the Pro-141fd. It was way more TV than i could really afford, but at the time I just wanted the best. I could have spent alot less, but once I saw what Pioneer was doing with their displays, I just couldnt have anything less. If you are one who is inclined to nitpick the color presentation, black levels, and motion sensitivity, then this TV presented some value. In the same way that a European luxury car does vs. a nice american family sedan. They can just do things that others cant, and you pay for that performance.

When i find myself looking at TVs in the big box stores in at my local AV specialty store, i wish that Pioneer was still making TVs. If they decide to do it again, I'll be one of the first to get in line.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: