Viewing Review: Beautiful plasma panel - AVS Forum
Beautiful plasma panel Edit
by mdanderson Combined Rating: 4.6
This is my first plasma having come from a Sony LCD, LCOS and CRT hdtv. I can say without a doubt that this is the best looking hdtv I have ever owned. I thought my LCD looked great but this tv is...
Pros Cons
  • Excellent resolution-deep blacks-rich colors-plenty of brightness
  • Only that I am having to baby this tv because of fear of image retention but that is just my choice. I am being overly cautious but that is just me.
This is my first plasma having come from a Sony LCD, LCOS and CRT hdtv. I can say without a doubt that this is the best looking hdtv I have ever owned. I thought my LCD looked great but this tv is a definite step-up in performance for sure. I have had the set for about 5 weeks now, and I am amazed at the picture quality that Panasonic produces with this current line of plasma tvs. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the picture quality of plasmas and I have not been disappointed so far.

Features: The ST60 has plenty of features such as online streaming, but so far I have not used this capability because I use things like Netflix from my Oppo bluray player. There are also a good number of apps on your home screen, but I have not explored these as well. My main interest is picture quality with blurays whether it be 2D or 3D. 3D is something that I have never had on a hdtv and I am very pleased with the picture qualtiy of the few 3D titles I have explored. I have watched Tangled, The Lion King, Finding Nemo and Avatar in 3D. These all provide good depth with plenty of brightness.

Please note that I did a software update on the ST60 and I have not had any motion issues with 3D that were previously reported in some online professional reviews. The 3D glasses fit well over my prescription glasses and they are fairly light which provides good overall comfort.

Setup: The ST60 was not difficult at all to setup. It does have a setup wizard which was quite easy to use when you followed the prompts. I ran a series of break-in slides from D-Nice for the first 100hrs, and I then used Spears and Munsil's HD Benchmark disc to set the basic user controls such as contrast, brightness and color. I ended up using D-Nice's recommended settings but that was a matter of personal taste for me.

User Interface: The menu system is quite easy to use and it is laid out very well so you can go into things like pictures settings, sound settings with many adjustments available.

Performance: This is the most important thing to me when it comes to how I would judge an hdtv. The level of detail in whatever source I was using was very satisfying. Blacks are truly black and the colors are quite accurate. The level of detail in the picture was very good as well. Pixar bluray movies such as Toy Story and Finding Nemo are good examples of movies that showcase the outstanding performance of the ST60.

Highly recommended.

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
C_Squared 08-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the complement! I am enjoying the TV a lot. I am glad you mentioned a software update since I never check that.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: