Viewing Review: Attractive picture at an irresistible price. - AVS Forum
Attractive picture at an irresistible price. Edit
by Chris5028 Combined Rating: 4.3
I searched long and hard for the perfect TV this year when it was time to upgrade. My budget started a bit south of what I spent, but as I looked at TVs in my price range I realized I needed to be...
Pros Cons
  • Picture Quality, Black Levels, Motion Handling, Colors, Swivel stand.
  • The acrylic edge of the bezel, Smart features are a bit lagy, no 3D glasses included.
I searched long and hard for the perfect TV this year when it was time to upgrade. My budget started a bit south of what I spent, but as I looked at TVs in my price range I realized I needed to be at the $1k mark if I was going to find anything I would be happy with. Then it was "do I buy LED or Plasma?", it took about 20 minutes of searching and I knew needed to check out Plasma. It was CNET that got me interested in the ST50, and after seeing it at BB I purchased it online.

Picture
The TV produces a natural rich picture without being overly sharp. Oz Looked fantastic, the colors were breathtaking. I am using a slight variation of the CNET settings at this time and find the colors to be pretty dang close to perfect. I would like to have it calibrated professionally, however money is an object. My wife was very skeptical about me buying a Plasma, but she put that behind her after we watched a couple blu rays. She now doesn't like to watch movies at our friends houses, something about their LED TVs looking unpleasant. The Black Levels are pretty dang good, they look a bit dull with the lights up but as soon as I dim them or draw the curtain its inky black and beautiful. Pandorum and Sherlock Holms both gave it a good work out and showed how inky the blacks can be and the last of the Harry Potter movies was a real treat.

Features
The smart apps aren't much to mention, they are pretty clunky and the HUB isn't as smooth as it could be. I like the layout more than that of my Sony Blu ray player but I rarely use it. I did notice the app selection was pretty good, even a couple you might not want the wife to know about. The 3D is a lot of fun, I haven't watched a whole movie with it yet since I only bought one pair of glasses, but games are a lot of fun in 3D. Halo Anniversary and Gears of War 3 were like new again. The options for set up are very good, more than adequate for the price tag. I found the cable set up to be pretty smooth, I guess its not on some TVs... The speakers on the TV are very good for a flat panel. I used them for a couple months before I picked up a surround set up. The TV speakers actually sound crisper and clearer than the surround speakers I have, but with them being placed in the back of the TV they don't work well for sitting 8 feet away from the front of the TV.

Summary
I am in love with this TV, I would recommend it to any one who would listen. There are a few things that could be better, but in respect to value this TV does a lot more than I would expect from a TV in this price range. I look forward to using this TV for a long time to come, I am sure I will want to go larger before too long but rest assured this set will be hard at work in the bedroom or office when that day comes.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: