Viewing Review: My first 3D LED HDTV - AVS Forum
My first 3D LED HDTV Edit
by sdmf74 Combined Rating: 3.8
My most recent television shopping venture was anything but simple and quick. After several trips to my local electronics stores I finally decided I was going to buy at least a 55" flat screen
but...
Pros Cons
  • Good black levels, 120hz trumotion
  • no web, no smart tv features, no wifi
My most recent television shopping venture was anything but simple and quick. After several trips to my local electronics stores I finally decided I was going to buy at least a 55" flat screen
but was'nt sure if I wanted plasma or LED. I knew I needed to keep it close to $1,000. I ultimately decided to go with the LG 55lm5800. Overall I'm pretty happy with the decision but a part of me
wishes I would have sprung for a higher end plasma television instead. Putting my uneasy mind to rest I quickly delved into the manual to see what all the hype was about. TruMotion 120hz
was something I was interested in just because of all the positive things I have heard about 120hz gaming panels. Come to find out it was just hype, There was nothing special about this trumotion feature that caught my eye. As far as I could tell It was no better than a 60hz panel.

I was however pretty impressed with the 3D image on this set and to find out that LG supports the passive system for their glasses as opposed to the active glasses that can be somewhat uncomfortable when wearing for 2 or more hours at a time. Not to mention needing to be charged occasionally. I have enough electronic devices that need charging. My only complaint with the 3D picture is that at times
the brightness seems to be lacking, but I suppose that is true with most 3D sets out there when watching 3D images. The remote is just your basic slim remote with basic functionality for a blu ray player.

As we got home and carried the tv in the house I could'nt help but notice how light the tv was. I kept thinkin back to the days when I delivered big screens and how much trouble it was to tackle a
flight of stairs with a 200lb. or more set. Thankfully those days are long gone. Setup was fairly simple. I cannot comment on the base because I opted for a tv stand with a back that the tv mounts
on just like if you were to mount the tv on a wall.

Out of the box the picture seemed too bright and washed out and too red also, but I expected that. Most manufacturers calibrate their sets to look good on a sales floor in a brightly lit room. Not a dark
basement. I quickly picked up the remote and switched over to one of the two expert settings that feature ISF calibration settings. Immediately the picture looked more natural and I noticed a decent black
level on the screen that was not evident before. This was on a HD signal via the dish hopper. Of course I wanted to see what a Blu-Ray disc looked like so I popped in Underworld Awakening and
That's when the LG 55lm5800 really came to life. Much better black levels and overall the colors looked deeper and images were sharper. More of what you would expect from a set that retailed
at the time around $1,400. It was'nt until I chose to put in another BD movie that I noticed with the screen black and no image on screen there was a pretty bad ghosting or blooming of white light
emitting from at least one of the corners of my screen. This was the moment I knew my next HDTV would be a plasma or posssibly something of a newer technology. By the time I can afford
another set the Ultra High Definition or UHD sets will probably be mainstream.

Fast forward a year later and the 55" set from LG is still going strong, albeit with the annoying white light still emitting from the corners of the screen. Thankfully its only noticeable
when there is no image present on screen. I have done some further calibrations and achieved a more pleasing picture and I am more at ease with my +$1,000 purchase. After all you
get what you pay for. Next time I think I will opt to pay more.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: