Viewing Review: Panasonic TC-P55ST50 owner review - AVS Forum
Panasonic TC-P55ST50 owner review Edit
by Audi S4 Combined Rating: 4.1
This is my first flat panel television and after much reading of reviews for both LCD and plasma I decided on the Panasonic Viera TC-P55ST50. I am glad I did! After unboxing the set and placing it...
Pros Cons
  • Black levels, Color accuracy, Purples
  • Web browser, remote isn't back lit, built in speakers, no 3D glasses included
This is my first flat panel television and after much reading of reviews for both LCD and plasma I decided on the Panasonic Viera TC-P55ST50. I am glad I did! After unboxing the set and placing it with my entertainment system I began the setup process. Setup was a breeze! I started with recommended values I found in other reviews before purchasing the TV and tweaked them from there achieving an amazingly clear and precise picture. The color accuracy of the TV is astounding (I've never seen purples and reds look so good before) and the black levels were extremely dark with excellent shadow detail.

The room I have the TV isn't a dark room, which tends to glare off plasma TV's, but this Panasonic didn't have much of an issue. I placed the TV in the living room with an open floor plan and even with the living room lights, kitchen lights and dining room lights on there isn't a noticeable glare when watching TV. Very sunny days with the sunlight hitting the screen presents a glare issue and I do end up having to close the curtains to remove the glare. Overall this plasma TV performs very well in rooms that are lighted.

I did find a few downsides to the TV but they are very minor and don't affect the quality of the picture at all. One of these issues is the VIERRA web browser interface. I find it difficult to navigate and use but because I don't use this feature much it isn't a problem for me. Also, the built in speakers do not sound great at all. Again, I have the TV hooked up to an entertainment system and use the home theater speakers for the sound but when I did try to play video from the web browser I had to use the TV speakers and found it disappointing. I never had a TV that could access the web wireless before and never hooked up the TV to output it's sound to the home theater system. As for my third "Con", the remote isn't back lit but because I program my home theater remote to control all my equipment I don't have a problem with it. For people who would use the remote it could be frustrating using it in the dark.

The TC-P55ST50 is also 3D ready but I have never tested this feature. The set does not come with 3D glasses and I never felt the need to purchase any at this point so I can not comment on the 3D quality. Just be aware that if you do buy this TV that you will need to also purchase the glasses to use this feature.

Overall the Panasonic TC-P55ST50 is an amazing TV at a great price and I highly recommend it to everyone. It even outperforms many TV's costing much more!
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: