Viewing Review: Plagued by Hype - AVS Forum
Plagued by Hype Edit
by JulianPope Combined Rating: 4.0
While this is not necessarily a popular opinion, I stand strong by it. After waiting for weeks to receive this game through GameFly, I could barely get on the Internet without seeing people...
Pros Cons
  • A different kind of 'zombie' game, creepy atmosphere
  • Overrated, lackluster graphics, irritating story
While this is not necessarily a popular opinion, I stand strong by it. After waiting for weeks to receive this game through GameFly, I could barely get on the Internet without seeing people absolutely rave about how good it was. For example, IGN.com gave this game a perfect 10 out of 10. Very few games have received a score like that from IGN. Metal Gear Solid 4 was one of them, and I consider that game to be one of the greatest ever on Playstation. So of course what did I expect? Magic.

As soon as you start, the game it sucks you in. This is a good thing right? After you have been successfully sucked in, the game swiftly proceeds to take everything you ever loved away from you (literally).

As an avid follower of comics and films, I am a strong believer in the fact that you need a strong and somewhat likable protagonist. While the protagonist, Joel, is strong, he is hardly likable. In my opinion, that is already the first blow to the game. While he does slowly soften up over the course of the game, it is still hard to get to a place where you actually like him, even by the end of the game.

I feel like the whole zombie genre is getting played out, starting with The Walking Dead, so it's hard for this story to be really unique. There is a virus, there is a cure, there are zombies; sound familiar? While the environment is definitely creepy (one of the best things about the game), dealing with it can be very frustrating. The weapon system is wacky, you want to be that cool guy sneaking around and killing zombies, but sometimes you just want to be able to survive, and TLoU makes that pretty difficult.

I saw the ambition of the graphics, but the delivery was just not there. It was built to look realistic and fantastic, but the delivery was somewhat soft.

I wanted to like this game a lot, I really did, but there were a few key things that kept me from really embracing it. It's still a good game, it's just not the game it was made out to be.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
definite_article 09-26-2013, 12:25 PM

I honestly am quite disapointed that you've decided to respond to the short comments and wont put in the time to address areas that I would have liked some clarity on.

I don't have a problem that it's your opinion, but I feel there simply want enough content to your review to justify what you were saying. Obviously it's justified from your perspective, but we aren't getting an accurate account in relation to what factors played a role into your sweeping statements such as: "The weapon system is wacky". That offers no input for us to understand what forms this opinion.

JulianPope 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Kind of shocked at how negatively people have reacted to someones opinion who they don't even know. As soon as anyone disagrees with you, you throw the book at them, how does that seem fair? If I were to comb through all of your reviews I'm sure I'd find plenty to not like. Grow up and respect the opinions of others, you don't have to agree but why not disagree respectfully?

kopkiwi 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Lolwhat? Cons? This game has none. Quite easily one of, if not THE best game this gen, on any platform. Supported by the literally hundreds of proper reviews. Nice try dude. Maybe Dora the Explorer is a bit more for you?

kopkiwi 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Lolwhat? Cons? This game has none. Quite easily one of, if not THE best game this gen, on any platform. Supported by the literally hundreds of proper reviews. Nice try dude. Maybe Dora the Explorer is a bit more for you?

kopkiwi 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: