Viewing Review: Stay a while, and listen! (I'm pretty sure you will) - AVS Forum
Stay a while, and listen! (I'm pretty sure you will) Edit
by jtexasflood Combined Rating: 4.0
So, unless you've lived under a rock in the past few years, you probably know the drill. The Diablo series is a hack and slash RPG that has consumed lives and ended marriages. Although most of...
Pros Cons
  • Endless customization, good story, decent graphics, well thought out port to console
  • Some graphic slow downs, have to wait for other player in co-op inventory menu
So, unless you've lived under a rock in the past few years, you probably know the drill. The Diablo series is a hack and slash RPG that has consumed lives and ended marriages. Although most of the dungeon crawlers have battled the big guy in hell on the pc, (I believe the original Diablo had a Playstation One port) Diablo III for PS3 is Blizzards take on the console. I think I can go out on a limb and say that the pc version was very successful. Despite a somewhat rocky start with online only access, server crashes, the real money auction house glitch, etc., with regular updates, Diablo III for pc turned out to be a blast to play, especially with friends. Now, with a console version, how would it stand up? Like I said "Stay a while, and listen."

Story

The adventure begins with our friend Deckard Cain reading some books during, what appears to be a storm, with his niece Leah helping him. All of the sudden a meteor-like object brings Mr. Cain into the depths of the world, leaving nothing but a huge glowing hole behind. Leah is, of course, a little upset by this. Your story begins on the outskirts of Tristram. You must fight your way through endless hell creatures, find the source of the "falling star", and, of course, in the end, defeat the lord of terror, Diablo. Hold on just a minute! You may not make it there for a few hours. And if you plan to go through Inferno level, yeah, that's a lot of hours. It is worth it, though, in my opinion.

Gameplay

Ok, enough of the story, let's play the game. I have played many a hours on the pc version, so I was curiuos as to how they were going to translate this on the console. In a word, very well. Ok that's two words. Your attacks and spells are all layed out on the controller and visible on the screen so it is easy to remember. As you go up in levels, you will see more active attack slots open up as well as passive skills. Moving around with the analog stick is pretty self explanatory. The biggest change in gameplay by far is the dodge. You can use your right analog stick to avoid projectiles and incoming attacks. This simple tweak completely changes how you play the game. No longer do you ahve to fill an active attack slot with a "get out of jail"-type skill. Every character can now avoid easily dying in a crowd of champions by dogding out of it. The inventory screen takes a little getting used to if you've played this on pc, but it is a clean setup, and a welcomed change. My only gripe with it is that during co-op play, you have to wait for each of the players to search through their stuff. Skills are the same as pc and can be changed around at any time during the game as long as they are available. There is tons of loot to be found. Unlike the pc version, there is no auction house to fall back on in case you need some gear immdiately to get past a certain part. You must rely on pick ups and the blacksmith to make it through this one. Overall, if you are familiar with the formula, you'll have fun with this game.

Graphics

The graphics on the PS3 were suprisingly good. The environments and cut scenes are very well done. Some of the characters models don't look as good as the pc version and there are some unexplanined random slow downs that occur even when just playing alone. It is definately not enough to have me stop playing. The differences are minor and, in all, I thought Blizzard did a good job with the PS3's capabilities.

Music, Sound Effects, Diaglogue

I've always thought that the overall sound of this game was fantastic. The music is very appropriate. Sound effects and digalogue, especially when palying with surround sound are pretty unbelievable. My wife, (yes, I'm not divorced yet from playing this game), said that it freaked her out listening to the voices because they sounded like they were moving around her. That is a compliment, I think. I could not imagine playing this game without sound. It enhances the experience immensely.

Conclusion

So, now that you have stayed a while, and listened, here is the result: A pretty successful port of Diablo 3 and a great game in its' own right. If you are familiar with this type of game, you already own it and love it. If you are not, give it chance. Now that you can have same couch co-op, grab a friend or relative and kill some demons together. I must admit, I'm a bit of a sucker for Diablo. I may end up buying the version for the PS4 when it comes out, just because. Regardless, if you're looking for a complete game that you can spend some serious hours on, this is it. Enjoy! Talk to the folks around town and upgrade your equipment. You're going to need it!
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
Kascnef82 09-16-2013, 03:12 PM

thanks but no thanks....haven't played a console rpg since skyrim....that game despite its bugs was a landmark title in console and pc gaming...the freedom to do anything and level up.

breezy2012 09-14-2013, 10:13 PM

Diablo 3 has a good story?

ahilal 09-13-2013, 09:25 AM

LOL @ the review title

Thanks for the review. I've been curious to hear how the console version worked out. I was a little disappointed with the PC version but I think some casual console play might be a better fit for me.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: