Viewing Review: Wonderfully easy to setup with simple GUI for any user - AVS Forum
Wonderfully easy to setup with simple GUI for any user Edit
by kkirsche Combined Rating: 4.3
My Setup:
Receiver: STR-DN1040
Banana Plugs: Seawell Deadbolt
Speakers: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Subwoofer: BIC F-12

Initial Setup:-
The initial setup was great. I started by wiring up all the speakers,...
Pros Cons
  • Great GUI, Easy Setup, Reasonably Accurate Auto-Calibration, Great Feature Set
  • Banana Plugs fit very snuggly, Not as extensive streaming as some, 4K only on certain HDMI ports
My Setup:
Receiver: STR-DN1040
Banana Plugs: Seawell Deadbolt
Speakers: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Subwoofer: BIC F-12

Initial Setup:-
The initial setup was great. I started by wiring up all the speakers, THEN plugging it in (per the instructions). Banana plugs were very tight and I was concerned I was going to break something to get them in. Some ports went in nice and easily others were like pulling teeth. Once everything was wired, turned it on and was greeted by an initial setup screen where I setup my network settings (wi-fi or wired) and did the auto calibration. Things like Airplay, DLNA, etc. all worked out of the box with no changes necessary which was great as well.

Apps:
Apple iOS Remote Apps: Media Remote App + Network Audio Remote App are the two I use. it's frustrating that Sony made two completely separate apps, one for general receiver use the other for streaming services available on the receiver. Nonetheless, they work well though the instructions the applications give are not accurate for how you register it. You will need to go to "Home Network" > "Options" > "Register Device" to correctly register your phone application with the receiver. Not a huge problem but this was annoying. The main application (TV Sideshow) has been redesigned for iOS 7 as well.

To wrap up:
The setup was easy and everything just works. What more can I ask for? The receiver looks great and works great. The UI is pretty simple and is easy to navigate. The auto calibration worked well overall, though set the crossover higher than I would have liked (125Hz when the manual for the Pioneers recommends a crossover of 100Hz) and incorrectly set the speakers to "Large". A quick change in the settings and all was well again. For those looking to save money, I recommend going with the STR-DN1040 as the main differences between this and that are the GUI, and slightly more power out of this receiver. Overall though, I am very very happy with my purchase and don't see that changing in the future. At the right price, this receiver is a steal.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
comfynumb 12-05-2013, 05:39 AM

Nice review it looks like the Sony has some great features and it's a nice looking piece, congrats.

CamaroDrvr 10-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Thanks, I was hoping it was the same speakers but figured there was a chance this was a new everything type upgrade. With new speakers you are right, hard to say what is doing more, but good to know the combo you have sounds good.

kkirsche 10-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Hey @CamaroDrvr,

I know it isn't much, but I had an older Sony receiver, don't have the model though, which this is better. Sadly though I have to state that it is equal chance the new speakers I am using as it is the receiver. I don't have a way to test the sound quality against an older receiver with all other things equal. If there's anything else I can share though to help make an informed decision about the receiver, please let me know.

CamaroDrvr 10-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the review, sounds like it was pretty painless setting it up, have you had a chance to compare the sound on something you know well on the old receiver?

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: