Viewing Review: very good and very overpriced - AVS Forum
very good and very overpriced Edit
by audiovideoblog Combined Rating: 4.0
These are the cables I used for a month or so, because I borrowed it from my brother in law, just to check phenomenon of Monster cables. I didn’t have home theatre back then (something I use HDMI...
Pros Cons
  • quality
  • price
These are the cables I used for a month or so, because I borrowed it from my brother in law, just to check phenomenon of Monster cables. I didn’t have home theatre back then (something I use HDMI cables now the most) and I would use it with my dvd player. The signal from Monster was always good, even though they were over one year old back then. I didn’t like the flashy contacts and the look of Monster cables, but let’s agree, this is none of great importance.
The Monsters are really great and all but not when I hear their price. This is way too much to pay for a cable. Mind you, I’m not the follower of what some people say: buy any cable, they’re all the same. Of course they are not. Cheap (and I mean ridiculously cheap) cables cannot be as good as Monster, because of the materials they’re made of (cheap materials). Cheap materials, plus cheap work make cheap price. And cheap working. But end of off top. You can really get good cables with medium, reasonable price. Of course maybe you want to spend money on technical equipment but remember that you don’t have to do it  Monsters are really all good, works awesome, their quality is impeccable. But I feel tricked with the amount of money I have to pay for them and I won’t do it.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
jasondjulian 01-15-2014, 10:43 AM

Indeed, this is true.  All things being equal, the cheap cable will either work or it wont, the expensive cable will either work, or it wont.  As long as one considers the thickness and durability of the insulating jacket, and the terminal ends, when it comes to video quality and performance, they all work the same.  

That's not to say that some $0.35 cable from the back woods of Hong Kong wont fall apart or kink and break the wires inside after some use... but your $3, $6, $10 cables from places such as Monoprice or CablesToGo will do the same.  There is only so much credance one can give to "they are made from cheaper materials" and thus are crap... at the bottom of the barrel, yes.. possibly  But once you're floating an inch off the bottom, they are all the same. 

kingpcgeek 10-25-2013, 03:41 PM

I am sorry but a $2 HDMI cable is just as good as a $56 Monster cable. They all pass 0's and 1's the same way. In the analog world there was a difference in cables, in a digital world there is not.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: